Ammonia Differences Between Test Kits

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Also, if you ever kept freshwater tanks, you probably remember that you can leave a bucket of tap water out overnight and the next day, the chlorine is gone... In a tank without livestock, you can essentially just let the chlorine dissipate on its own -- if there's just a little)
Keep 'em coming though, I wanna get to 5K posts by the end of the weekend :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it doesn't do what it claims, except dechlorinate. I didn't say that, lol. I said it falsely reduced test kit readings for total ammonia a little. We are in agreement. :)
if you say so. I don't think it reduces test kit readings at all

OP
OP
F

FatPoseidon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Just trust the badge over the kits. Is there anything alive in the tank? If not, just let the bacteria do its job and be patient ;)
Nah nothing in the tank yet - run it like bbq, slow and low. just a weird observation that I hadn't seen or heard of before. Didn't know if Seachem changed something on the badge. Guess I need to stop and read the directions more than once a decade.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's supposed to reduce the total ammonia readings (falsely) a little, that's all, as far as I'm aware.

A long time ago, I tested ammonia with a Hach colorimeter before and after Prime and saw a "reduction" by a few hundredths. I don't recall if I was using the 5X "ammonia" dose or not though.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the badge tested only for total ammonia, same as the Red Sea kit.
ph is currently at 8.0 @ 77 degrees
No. I found this recently with a QT tank running Coppersafe. The Coppersafe is an Amine compound (NH3 IIRC) bound to the Copper in some fashion.

The total ammonia test I have showed high ammonia because it was detecting the ammonia part of the compound while the Seachem badge showed only the safe zone yellow.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back