OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look really good except Nitrates, I try and keep them 20ppm to 40ppm Nitrate in mine, and I run my Calc higher also, closer to 450 range.

Have you tested Phos or DKh?
Ya I thought the parameters looked pretty good other than the nitrates and the rising temp. I haven’t tested for those because I don’t have the testing supplies for them. However, if those are important also I will get the equipment to test

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I thought the parameters looked pretty good other than the nitrates and the rising temp. I haven’t tested for those because I don’t have the testing supplies for them. However, if those are important also I will get the equipment to test
I test for those every 2 to 3 days.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was melting and it smelled awful

Yep... thats pretty conclusive evidence. Sorry that this happened.

For it to be dead in such a short period of time tells me that it was dying when you purchased it, possibly explaining why it never anchored.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing the type of anemone you had makes a huge difference in terms of what we suggest you do -- some anemones like to attach their feet in deep crevices in the rockwork, while others like a deep sand bed. Then there are others that prefer smooth rocks.

The bigger picture is that is sounds like you need to get your tank husbandry in order before trying to house an anemone. For example, having a protein skimmer will probably help quite a bit. And measuring dKH is probably the most important thing to test, assuming your tank has been properly cycled.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... thats pretty conclusive evidence. Sorry that this happened.

For it to be dead in such a short period of time tells me that it was dying when you purchased it, possibly explaining why it never anchored.
That sucks :/ this was my first one so I had done some research but I didn’t know it could’ve been unhealthy because it looked good when I bought it. My water parameters also seemed to be good for an anemone so I’m not sure what went wrong

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing the type of anemone you had makes a huge difference in terms of what we suggest you do -- some anemones like to attach their feet in deep crevices in the rockwork, while others like a deep sand bed. Then there are others that prefer smooth rocks.

The bigger picture is that is sounds like you need to get your tank husbandry in order before trying to house an anemone. For example, having a protein skimmer will probably help quite a bit. And measuring dKH is probably the most important thing to test, assuming your tank has been properly cycled.
I have a protein skimmer that I need to set up in the tank. So I will be doing that next. And I agree, I do need to make sure my tank is all good before I add anything else

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks :/ this was my first one so I had done some research but I didn’t know it could’ve been unhealthy because it looked good when I bought it. My water parameters also seemed to be good for an anemone so I’m not sure what went wrong

Was it anchored in the fish store?

I only buy Anemones that are attached to a rock. So it usually means the cost of a piece of live rock too.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a protein skimmer that I need to set up in the tank. So I will be doing that next. And I agree, I do need to make sure my tank is all good before I add anything else
The protein skimmer will not only help with nutrient export, but also adding oxygen to your tank.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back