Anemones and vortechs!

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder set-up with 2 Vortech MP20's, one on each end. I am going to adding a RBTA sometime next week and would like a little input on how to anemone proof my tank. I know vortech sells the mesh cover that goes around the outer edge of the powerhead, but is that enough?

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ditch the vortechs

Its a double edged sword. If you add the mesh guard you will cut down on the flow of your vortech and they will get clogged up.

If you dont your anemone may get souped.

I had a vortech and tossed it because of lowered flow from the mesh cover.

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you tossed the mesh cover? I have been thinking that once the anemone is settled in, it may be safe to remove the covers. It would be a risk, but it might be worth it.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are at risk with pretty mush all in-tank supplemental flow (powerheads).

Just pray ;)

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. I was just trying to do everything I can for the initial roaming that will most likely ensue. Any other tips?

reefdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to keep it from moving altogether, stick it in a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe or a pint glass. it will be too stupid to find its way out

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40W's and the mesh is worthless. After about 2 days they start to slide off the vortech. Just worthless IMO.

kfennell

New Hobbyisy Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turn off the powerheads for the first night, most of the time a bta will find a good place it likes and stuck with it then the powerheads aren't a worry.

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so basically keep an eye on the anemone, especially early on. Most of you seem to say not to worry too much about covering the powerheads. I have a lot of light over my 40B so if anything it will probably hide in the rockwork initially anyway. I will be sure to post pics when the RBTA is in the tank.

Any other tips would be appreciated, and thanks to all who have posted.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP20 in a 60 cube with two BTAs the foam covers work, but you need to squeeze them out almost daily or they cut down on the flow as everyone said. I think the foam covers enough to keep them out. I don't see an anemone goint thru the output side of a Vortech.

My nems seem to have settled so I pulled the cover for right now.
Dave

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so maybe I will at least run the mesh covers while the anemone settles in. I have 1 of the covers but need one more. Does anyone have a spare mesh cover that they aren't using?

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had few problems with kamikaze missions with my BTA's. I keep my powerheads away from the rock work, so they have to really work to get into them. If it does decide to give itself a buzz cut, turn off the powerhead and let it fall out on it's own. I've never lost one to buzz cuts (whether letting them fall out on their own, or pulling them), but I figure it's less stress on a stressed animal if they fall out on their own.

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sounds good. I picked up the mesh covers for the vortechs to run for the first week or maybe more depending on how much it moves. I will probably make some kind of crude covering for the intake to my AC110, as well as the powerhead for a CPR fuge.

I will post some pics this weekend.

Back