Aquatop 40 Recife upgrades

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to pick up a Aquatop 40 Recife like the title says. I’ve been doing some research and I see people are updating the lights, skimmer and filtration system. I want to know what the general consensus is on what parts people replace what comes with the tank.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks lapin. I saw 2 of those already, waiting for OP to respond :). I know people upgrade the light and skimmer and add a fan, but what about the filtration? Do I saw one of those guys buy a media basket and filter floss holder. Do they use different media or what comes with the tank? Sorry if its a stupid question.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ZoaGrowa510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for an upgrade to the 3rd chamber where the individual baskets go. I’d like a media basket that will allow me to use filter bags for better flow. I’m new to the hobby so I’m still learning but my LFS recommend I get rid of those baskets….

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for an upgrade to the 3rd chamber where the individual baskets go. I’d like a media basket that will allow me to use filter bags for better flow. I’m new to the hobby so I’m still learning but my LFS recommend I get rid of those baskets….
I'm not exactly sure if this is what you want. They have several cool pieces for the recife 24 and 40 gallon cubes.

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone I met online who has our tank said he doesn’t run anything back there. Only uses filter floss. I bought the inland filter floss holder and ditched the baskets.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone I met online who has our tank said he doesn’t run anything back there. Only uses filter floss. I bought the inland filter floss holder and ditched the baskets.
I'm interested in the floss holder as well. Do you like yours? Also, the same site offers a skimmer attachment for the over flow area. I think it's supposed to help with better surface runoff. I always have this wicked film on top of my water. It's a new tank with just a few hermits.

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in the floss holder as well. Do you like yours? Also, the same site offers a skimmer attachment for the over flow area. I think it's supposed to help with better surface runoff. I always have this wicked film on top of my water. It's a new tank with just a few hermits.
I just started cycling my tank so I’m waiting to add stuff. Floss holder is fine, does its job. I didn’t like the black sponge it came with.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started cycling my tank so I’m waiting to add stuff. Floss holder is fine, does its job. I didn’t like the black sponge it came with.
Yeah same here it seems pointless when the floss would work just fine without affecting the flow. I pulled out the trays except for one that I filled with eheim bio glass pearl shaped balls. But my tank is new so we'll see how it works! I appreciate your reply.

smoothie7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of of these tanks. I bought the intank media basket and it works great. I have carbon in the chamber along with some filter floss. Outside of that, I upgraded the light to a hydra 32 for my lps tank and a hydra 64 for my sps tank. I removed the 4 media baskets but kept the sponge and put a little filter floss on top of the sponge. Added a couple nero 3 wavemakers and thats my setup.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thank you for the reply! I am definitely going to grab the media basket then. I like the idea of the boxes but the basket can be personalized better, like you did. I'm seriously considering the hydra 32 or a cheap light called noopsyche k7 3, that is supposed to be comparable for a much cheaper price. Probably too good to be true lol. Do you like your 32? Does it provide the coverage and par for a fee LPS? I have the recife 40. I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 20240519_220949.jpg
    20240519_220949.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 2

smoothie7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thank you for the reply! I am definitely going to grab the media basket then. I like the idea of the boxes but the basket can be personalized better, like you did. I'm seriously considering the hydra 32 or a cheap light called noopsyche k7 3, that is supposed to be comparable for a much cheaper price. Probably too good to be true lol. Do you like your 32? Does it provide the coverage and par for a fee LPS? I have the recife 40. I appreciate your help.
The boxes were nice however once you mount a light using the center of the back glass, you can't remove the boxes which led me to find the media chamber. I'm really impressed with the chamber. Nice quality. I really like the hydra 32. It is great for LPS.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back