Arrow crab - ensure well fed?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bajillion and a half bristle worms. At night there will be some just suspended in the water column floating around because I have so many. I added some stromella snails (idk how to spell them lol) and I’m watching my bristleworms attack one that’s very much alive (it’s squirming and trying to get away). Anyways, I suffer from low nutrients so I know, “feed less” but even with less feeding they’re prolific.

Was thinking of an arrow crab but I know they’re not the most reef safe. I understand well fed usually means less aggressive toward fish/coral/cuc. I’m wondering, since I have thousands of bristle worms, is that enough do we think to keep the Arrow crab happy and fat (posing minimal risk to my tank)?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had an issue with my arrow crab attacking anything. Between bristles and meaty foods it was well fed at first, then after a couple months my bristle worm population was nearly extinct and I wasn't paying attention; it died of starvation because I had stopped feeding meaty foods and was on pellets due to travel...

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never had an issue with my arrow crab attacking anything. Between bristles and meaty foods it was well fed at first, then after a couple months my bristle worm population was nearly extinct and I wasn't paying attention; it died of starvation because I had stopped feeding meaty foods and was on pellets due to travel...
Gotcha, did you happen to have any wrasses or things that would sort of sleep that were easily preyed upon?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, did you happen to have any wrasses or things that would sort of sleep that were easily preyed upon?
Dottyback sleeps in a rock, Lawnmower Blenny sleeps stationary on a rock, and Banded Sleeper Goby sleeps in a burrow... No wrasses specifically though

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dottyback sleeps in a rock, Lawnmower Blenny sleeps stationary on a rock, and Banded Sleeper Goby sleeps in a burrow... No wrasses specifically though
Alright, glad to hear it all worked out! I also assume if it’s well fed it won’t decimate my corals (hopefully) but since they’re pretty easy to catch, I guess I don’t have tooooo much to worry about.

Maybe I’ll start with a super small one if I can find one and go from there. I know bristle worms aren’t “bad” but my population is thriving a litttttle too well right now lol

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back