OP
K

Kozman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rodi was checked by ICP Test and it was fine. I added 64 oz copepods a few weeks ago and the sand I dont remember the brand but it definitely wasn't an issue until my tank was 7+ months when this issue started..

OP
OP
K

Kozman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a WC in 3 weeks, I will let it go another week or so, I also added a diamond goby, he does a good job with the sand but it never goes away, the next morning the sand is covered again.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating dino’s and diatoms are very different approaches.

I’d put a little sand in some acid (such as undiluted vinegar) and see if it bubbles, showing it is calcium carbonate and not some sort of silica sand.

OP
OP
K

Kozman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to think it's Dino's also, Diatoms should not last 7+ months. What is best approach to rid dino's, should I go with adding more beneficial bacteria and hydrogen peroxide. Should I try Vibrant, Dino X treatments?

OP
OP
K

Kozman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest pic, it's everywhere
20240516_125629.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kozman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's like dust, if I wave my hand it blows away easily, not matted or stringy. The goby mowed right thru it, he takes it in and comes out of his gills no problem, the turkey baster just blows it away..it looks like cinnamon sprinkled is on the sand , that's why I'm so confused, it looks like diatoms but it won't go away. Definitely not like a matt or stringy or bubbles

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's like dust, if I wave my hand it blows away easily, not matted or stringy. The goby mowed right thru it, he takes it in and comes out of his gills no problem, the turkey baster just blows it away..it looks like cinnamon sprinkled is on the sand , that's why I'm so confused, it looks like diatoms but it won't go away. Definitely not like a matt or stringy or bubbles
Curious. Not sure what it is.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be time for a microscope so you can get to the bottom of this and treat the problem appropriately. When my tank was around the 7 month mark I had no issues with diatoms (and I was dosing silica). Dinos however... That was a 3 month process to get rid of!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back