Votes: 18 72.0%

• Total voters

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nano, 5 ~ 30g, which do you prefer? Putting the aesthetic issue aside, what is more beneficial or effective? I went from a BB to a shallow sand bed, and now I'm thinking of going to BB again. I've noticed a higher amount of detrius and a rise in nitrate.

colinadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll always vote for the sandbed, looks more natural and with a ton of nassarius snails that I have and a pistol shrimp they do a great job keeping the sand clean.

JMO

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there really is no major benefit to a shallow sand bed other than aesthetics
if its more about functionality then go with bb

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote sandbed. Oh so what's the difference with shallow sand bed and deep sand bed??? I only have 2 inches of sand is that shallow??? I never have any problems with it being dirty

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isn't a remote DSB a feasible option for a nano? shouldn't that be in the poll as well?

i agree with coralnutz though...a SSB is useless in a tank that small...it'll look good, but might be more of a headache in the longrun

Zach

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote sandbed. Oh so what's the difference with shallow sand bed and deep sand bed??? I only have 2 inches of sand is that shallow??? I never have any problems with it being dirty

2" is most defintiely a shallow bed.....DSB starts at 4" to 5", i believe...with some of the most productive ones being much more than that.

Zach

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW ok i should add more sand then. I don't see any bad effects looks clean?? My tank has been up for over 5 years now.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted BB, but that is assuming you can get enough nutrient export through mechanical filtration.

you talking live-rock? or skimmer, etc..

there's some dutch reefer i read on RC that has a crazy 90gal SPS tank...barebottom, but only 25lbs of rock!....not sure how he does it, but his levels are quite acceptable...he does dose some of those wacky concoctions you see the Italians use

Zach

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its seems to me that a 4-5" sand bed would be the headache??? Isn't that just 2-4" more for the poopie to settle into?? I too have a 2" sandbed and with the snails, crabs and micro-serpent stars I have had very good results. Plus the look of 4" of sand up on the glass is ugly IMO. Why waste the real estate???

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that makes sense. I have a thick bed in the fuge so maybe that is what is helping me. Do you still vaccume the dsb? I do my ssb and it stays purty and no nitrates or adverse effects.....as far as I know. I'll read more about it to make a more educated guesstimate for my setup. But like ou said it ain't broke so I'll prolly leave it as is. Thanks mang!

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a shallow sand bed in that size of a tank would be pretty easy to keep clean. I'd never go back to a DSB in my tank, but I think a course, SSB may be in my future at some point.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back