Borax 20 mule team and baking soda

Have you ever heard of this? (Borax 20 mule team and baking soda)

• yes

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • no

Votes: 21 80.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wareagle35031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. on another reef forum someone mentioned a 4:1 baking soda to borax 20 mule team laundry booster as a DIY homemade buffering agent. Does anyone here use/know someone who uses this long term with or without any adverse effects?

OP
OP
W

wareagle35031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since it is just sodium bicarbonate, I could see how that would work, but Borax??

OP
OP
W

wareagle35031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it depends on the amount of boron in your salt mixes?

Last edited:

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?? what you mean you are old?

I thought this thread was about the old commercial and movies of the twenty mule team. You know 18 mules and two horses? "soap" operahs... ever wonder how they got that name? Borax commercials. lol

Then i realized after your post it wasn't.

Anyway, look at your pH and Alkalinty buffers (if you use them), they all have boric acid in them. I'll see if i can get picture of the one i used to use. (I'm at work now)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax - a good info page

R

reef-nut

View Badges
Why would you even take a chance on any of these home brews, when there is commercial products for most any problem out there?

OP
OP
W

wareagle35031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you even take a chance on any of these home brews, when there is commercial products for most any problem out there?

Oh I wouldnt dream of it, no way, crazy talk to me, but he is preaching this to new people in the hobby, and I just dont think it is a good ideal!!

R

reef-nut

View Badges
Oh I wouldnt dream of it, no way, crazy talk to me, but he is preaching this to new people in the hobby, and I just dont think it is a good ideal!!
Keep that thought. I got way to much money and time in my tank to take any kind of a chance. I still can not believe people are putting vodka in there tank.

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One reason to use a home brew is that the commercial products often times ARE exactly the same thing only now that it is "reef" this or that they double or triple the price.

I use any means I can to save money in this hobby. That way I can afford more CORALS!!!!!

blue acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. on another reef forum someone mentioned a 4:1 baking soda to borax 20 mule team laundry booster as a DIY homemade buffering agent. Does anyone here use/know someone who uses this long term with or without any adverse effects?

It’s a totally natural element and its found in all NSW and it’s as needed as any other element for proper coral proper metabolism normal growth All commercial prepared buffering agents contain it in in just the same amount to try and maintain a 3.00 ppm of borate as the make up of total alkalinity its found in NSW of contractions of 2.8 to 4.01 around the worlds oceans Relatively little information is available about the quantity and form of boron in the atmosphere. Boron has been detected in measurable quantities in evaporation from seawater, rain, snow, and hot springs, and industrial airborne dust. In rain and snow, boron has been reported in concentrations ranging between 0.002 and 0.1 milligrams boron per liter. The major source of boron in the atmosphere appears to be evaporation from seawater. Industrial processes contribute much less. On a global basis, boron moves through the atmosphere at a rate of five to seven million tons per year.
As a side not it’s in about every food we as humans eat and all the waters we drink

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R blueacro! Stick around!! :D

blue acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome and I sure will nice site enjoying looking around some good nice infomation to be had here . :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back