Candy cane (trumpet) not happy for months!

LeleganceCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this trumpet for a long time, originally in a pretty low light 5 gal, until about a year ago i moved it to the big tank. Was happy for the first couple months but its condition has slowly deteriorated after a magnesium spike, and magnesium is still a bit high. Moved it to 60 par low flow a while back and no changes.

Parameters:
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 1ppm
Calcium: 390 ppm
Alk: 7.1 dkh
Magnesium: 1440ppm
Phosphate: 0ppm

image.jpg

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I dont know why but those levels for me are hard to get up, feed my fish daily and coral weekly and stays low
What do you feed? If you try mixing pellets into your fish food, that'll help increase it.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I dont know why but those levels for me are hard to get up, feed my fish daily and coral weekly and stays low
Do you run a skimmer, macro fuge or ATS? If you do, dial the skimmer run time down (or shut it off) and/or reduce the photoperiod on your nutrient export algae.

You can also feed them more often, I fed every 2-3 days to raise my nutrients when I also had zero. Candycanes love to eat after lights off, you should see their feeder tentacles extend.

michigan-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a flow issue, I would move it out of that hole it is in. The Duncan above it looks good, so my guess is increasing flow will solve the problem. It will take time for it to bounce back. I have more (plump) candy cane coral than I know what to do with and I have never fed them. Checking nutrient levels is a good idea as well. Lighting is something to think about as well, candy cane coral don't need to much light, the above poster said 100-150 (that sounds about right to me).

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back