Coral placement

lewistommason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some suggestions/tips on which corals and where to place in my red sea reefer 350.
Looking for some bright and interesting colours. I'm new to the hobby so thinking soft corals are definitely the way to go for now, but as I know some can become invasive pretty quickly I want to have a plan in place, rather than dropping them in and hoping for the best.

tank.JPG

OP
OP
L

lewistommason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want for coral? Lots of diffrent styles you can go for. I went with a more "wavy" style. More coral that moves in flow opposed to sps.
Yes, I like the wavy look, as it keeps it interesting. Love the neon bright colours too. I'm thinking some zoas, xenia, gsp, kenya tree. But also eventually want some torch corals etc. Just have no idea where they would need to be placed

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I like the wavy look, as it keeps it interesting. Love the neon bright colours too. I'm thinking some zoas, xenia, gsp, kenya tree. But also eventually want some torch corals etc. Just have no idea where they would need to be placed
Skip the xinia. I am the self proclaimed "torch master" lol. You cab so some gsp on a rock. Or if you really want the back wall. I have a kenya they do frag but the frags are manageable.

Torches are way easier than you may think. If you feed them and give then lower flow they will grow like crazy and be massive. I run torches in very dirty water with phos at .32 and nitrate at 15.

Like I said erlier too. I'd place torches in lower to medium flow. They expand more that way. Kenya tree needs to be in low flow too. Zoas are more medium flow. And gsp pretty much tolerate anything. But typically medium flow.

I would also look into doing the back and forth wave thing. Basically you tune your powerheads to make the flow go back and forth like it does on real reefs. Cool look I could never do it however.

Also how long and what lights to you run?

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second torches (+ hammers) - look great, pretty easy to maintain even with the inevitable swings you will experience as a new tank/reefer. Definitely stay away from star polyps, kenya tree (super invasive) and xenia. Zoa's are nice also - best to put them lower and if you don't want the to spread everywhere on a particular rock vs your main rockscape. Also look into other LPS, especially nice options for your sand bed. For first sps down the road, Green Slimer and Birdsnest are pretty good options. Good luck!

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just by viewing the rock structure and assuming your lights are adjusted for par levels.

Top left I'd place along the rock tower. I'd do some torches, hammers and frog spawns. Then throw in some duncans on the lower portion. Or split these up between the left and right tower rock structures.

The middle bulky rock I'd do a zoa garden. Keep all the zoa's contained their if possible lol.

Then between all that on the lower rocks mix in some acan lords as they can be next to each other. Then some leptospirosis or blastos.

At the very lowest portion of the rocks. You can throw in some mushrooms or place them in front on sandbed.

great aquascape btw. Lot of options here.

Back