Diatoms or Dinos?

notofthisreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and somewhat new to reef keeping as I've got back into the hobby a few months ago. I have a JBJ RL 20 cube that has been up and running since April 11th. I started noticing what I think is diatom algae on the substrate and have been doing weekly water changes after it was up the first month using R/O from my LFS.

I have two Clown fish, two turbo snails, a cleaner shrimp, Some zoas, a hammer and a racordia. All of the livestock seems happy and corals are growing.

Since the diatoms are not going away I'm beginning to wonder if I have dinos since they look similar from what I've read. Looking for some input on if these are just normal diatoms and suggestions on how to erradicate it or how long to expect to be dealing with it. Right now I've been sifting the gravel as I do the weekly 20% water changes and I manually stir it every couple of days but by the next day the diatoms are already returning. I'm considering throwing a UV light in the AIO sump. Thoughts on those for diatoms? See the attached photos.

Current Parameters and setup:
SG: 1.025
Nitrate: <10ppm (somewhere between 5 and 10)
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 0
Temp: 79 (just set to 82, I read this can kill off dinos.
Light: Kessil A80 Blue with Spectral controller. (I recently adjusted the ramps to only go up to 40% intensity to see if that improves whatever is growing on the substrate.)
Feeding: I dose Phyto Feast every other day and feed pellets or flakes 1 time per day.
Aquamaxx NF-1 Skimmer
Tunze Nano ATO

tank1.jpg
tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg
tank4.jpg
tank5.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Diatoms and often associated with newer tanks feeding off silicates from sand and dry rock. While part of cycling will subside.
If becomes unsightly, you can siphon as needed, add micro bacter XLM and add snails such as:
Astrea
Nerite
Trochus
Nassarius

and some carribean blue leg hermits which are tiny

OP
OP
notofthisreef

notofthisreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms and often associated with newer tanks feeding off silicates from sand and dry rock. While part of cycling will subside.
If becomes unsightly, you can siphon as needed, add micro bacter XLM and add snails such as:
Astrea
Nerite
Trochus
Nassarius

and some carribean blue leg hermits which are tiny
Thank you for your input. Glad they're just diatoms.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 112 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 124 47.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back