DIY Larval Snagger

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to make my own and just finished gluing 3 of them together. I still need to glue in the air line and am waiting on mesh fabric from Florida Aqua Farms to cover the outlet. I am going to make a lure that runs off of 120 current so I can control the snagger with my APEX.

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes a plan works out. I have a pair of Neon Gobies and I wanted to raise the fry. They were nested in a piece of live rock and I could never get them both out at once. So I put the rock and both fish in a 20 gal high and began to look for a way to catch the fry if I could not get the eggs. I came across the design you see above. I have installed it on the goby tank with a DIY LED lure that is taped to the front of the tank. The air runs continuously but the lure comes on 30 minutes after dark and stays on for 3 hours. I cleaned and installed the catcher every day for the last two weeks, trying to see when the larva would hatch. This morning I had about 20 larva in the snagger. I will leave it there tonight in case of any late arrivals. But what I know now is the egg cycle. I will do this again the next time they show breeding behavior and I will be able to forecast the larva hatch. I am still in preparation with my food system and I have yet to start the rotifers, but now I can plan a date to try raising the larva.

zerokewl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When these are used for clowfish catches its bad to leave the larvae in there for any length off time and it significantly reduces yields . I'd imagine this is the same for most other larvae so if you leaving them in there for hours it's probably not good

ben5impson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When these are used for clowfish catches its bad to leave the larvae in there for any length off time and it significantly reduces yields . I'd imagine this is the same for most other larvae so if you leaving them in there for hours it's probably not good
these are only intended to be used for a couple of hours to catch the clownfish larvae to transfer to a fry tank. these are quite effective.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back