do you have an anemone enemies in your soft coral tanks?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to put an anenome in my tank. My local coral shop was explaining to me the difficulties, and the fact that overnight they can move from one part of the tank to another, and that the process digest one of a very expensive coral(s). I'm sure this is true in some cases, is this less likely or more likely occurance and is it something One thinks it can be approached in a mitigating fashion thanks guys

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a good lfs that cares about more than just making a sale. I agree with them. Nems can move whenever they want and can kill coral. Some like haddoni will kill and eat fish also. I keep nems but will not be adding them to my new build. You just have to figure out of the reward is worth the risk. If you were closer if give you some of these ;)
PXL_20240427_160848705.jpg

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an anemone ONLY when my tank was completely stable for several months. In my next build, it'll be the same rule. When the tank is free and clear of anything that even suggests an imbalance for a long duration. Those critters can kill a tank. If something goes wrong and it dies, it can release toxins. And for extra added fun, in some cases, they can flat out disintegrate, leaving lots of unhappy pieces, large and small, to pollute. Also, if an anemone is on its way out, it may detach.......and venture into a powerhead. Be very careful with this decision.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Mr. Mojo Rising, that if you really want an anemone with corals a rock flower nem will be best. I recently got one that came on a dead coral frag, and it still hasn't moved. I just placed the frag on its side in the sand so the nem faced up, and it hasn't moved an inch. I actually am trying to get it to move lol. I am not at all saying it won't move, but they don't move anywhere near as much as bubble tips do IME. RFA's also don't have as much as a strong sting as BTA's do.

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got about 6 rock flower anemones in my softie tank. They don’t move as much and don’t damage corals and come in a variety of gorgeous colours. Very underrated anemone IMO.
I just got three rock flowers and I love them. They are very happy staying put so far and are very beautiful.

Also, my understanding is that they don't replicate in the same manner as many other anemones and have a lower reproduction rate so are unlikely to become a pest.

The only potential downside is that they don't often host clownfish like other larger anemones.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think RFA's can host anything, well i havent seen any RFA's hosting anything.
I also think they are less likely to move once they found a nice spot, unlike BTA's which if you change anything, they will pack up and move to a location that you do not want them to move to, or end up being chopped up in a power head nuking your entire tank with it.

Personally i love how anems look, like the CSB's are absolutely eye dropping in how colorful they are, and dont even need photoshop to make them look good.

But i personally again, will probably not own one, unless i get it for cheap, because of all the nuances they bring, and like others said, there are specific clowns which only hosts specific anems, and if you do manage to get one hosting it, then your considered lucky.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my RFAs (I have 2) have only moved once in the 18 months I've had them. I had to break down and move the tank for a house project and about a month after the tank move one of them decided to go for a walk... It was pretty active moving about for a week or 2 and then settled in a new location.

Since moving them into their upgrade tank neither has moved from where I placed them. I love that you can put them in groups, the colours look so nice together.

I also believe RFAs have a weaker sting and are unlikely to hurt other corals, unless I remember wrong? Although my goni did close up and die not long after the RFA went past it... but it was ticked off before that so who can say!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly CAN keep an anemone in a softie tank, but as your LFS has noted, depending on the species, it is a risk. I keep a large magnifica in my tank, though those are quite hard to acclimate and not recommended for the novice reefer. It mostly keeps still, though it will destroy anything it can touch, and is already quite large.

Flower anemones and mini/maxis are pretty benign. I am not personally a fan of the BTA (just a large majano to me) and if you hope to have it hosting clowns ... well, 50:50 at best.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've had a bubble tip anemone in my softy tanks for about 30 years, maybe a little more.
Seems like when my tanks are fairly new they have moved and did some damage along the way.
But adding a new anemone to a older tank seems to work out better. They like flow and good light. Seems to keep them happy and in one place.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.6%

Back