Dosing Ca

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm heading out of town for 10 days. I'm almost out of Ca. I have been using BRS Recipe 1 for the past 3 months. I don't have any more supplies and if I order, it won't arrive on time. Would there be any issues if I filled my jug with the Ca part from a B-ionic 2 part solution? I have some of this laying around..

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to call around to your local concrete redimix places. Calcium carbonate is used to speed hardening of concrete especially in cold weather. Ask for calcium carbonate not the brand name.

Locally I have purchased (3 years ago) the old (good) dow flake at $22 for a 50 pound bag.

Another place had cal chlor at $8 for a 25 pounds bag. Cal chlor ia also anahydrous (94%) calcium chloride. At that place they looked at this guy in business casual, private suv and asked what I wanted it for. I explained to add calcium for a saltwater aquarium and they just gave me a bag. :bigsmile:

Gee I guess I was different that all the construction workers in geans, hard hard hats, and cemet mixer trucks.

I now purchase calcium chloride and magnesium chloride both technical grade from a local industrial chemical supplier.

my .02

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 122 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 136 48.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back