Fish in the sump question

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it cruel to keep a fish in the sump? I have a juvenile french angel; he is getting pretty big. He was the one I posted about chasing my regal angel. I put a barrier up in my 125 to keep them separate. Was going to try to see if they would be okay in the big tank but he just killed my HQ tusk. Chased her into a crevasse that was too small for her, her fins were nipped and she had bas scrapes all over her sides. Im going to re home him at this point. Im just wondering if I fish him out would it be bad to put him in the sump with his size? My LFS that takes surrenders doesnt open until Friday. So he would be down there two days

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this hurt my fish? Its from having to move rocks and stuff and chasing the dude around the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This MF snapped a few days ago. Was a very calm fish before now. Started bullying my regal. Then started chasing other fish, and then killed my tusk. Murder fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is it cruel to keep a fish in the sump? I have a juvenile french angel; he is getting pretty big. He was the one I posted about chasing my regal angel. I put a barrier up in my 125 to keep them separate. Was going to try to see if they would be okay in the big tank but he just killed my HQ tusk. Chased her into a crevasse that was too small for her, her fins were nipped and she had bas scrapes all over her sides. Im going to re home him at this point. Im just wondering if I fish him out would it be bad to put him in the sump with his size? My LFS that takes surrenders doesnt open until Friday. So he would be down there two days
Its my preferred time out area and has flow, is clean and roomier than an acclimation box. Currently my purple tang is in there

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its my preferred time out area and has flow, is clean and roomier than an acclimation box. Currently my purple tang is in there
I dont have an acclimation or as I call it, a No no box. Trigger busted through it when I introduced him and I ordered the wrong size. So need to return it and get one. Im taking him to the store Friday I think. I want to keep him but Im not sure this wouldnt continue in the bigger tank. I loved that tusk :(

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Just had to rip apart my tank to get the MF.
I would have a difficult time getting it out alive under the circumstances. If it gets only 2 days in the sump that’s a slap on the fin for what it’s done. Sorry that this happened.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have a difficult time getting it out alive under the circumstances. If it gets only 2 days in the sump that’s a slap on the fin for what it’s done. Sorry that this happened.
Me too. A powder blue tang murdered my first one so I got her. Love that fish, then this dude snaps and killed her. :(

Captain-Barnacle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump parameters can be made ideal for the right species. A good Sump should serve as a refugium, staging space, hatchery, all-of-the-above. A Sump's highest functions are boosting dilution-factor/stability, catch overflow, water change, dose, filter, heat or chill, etc., nothing incompatible with life in the same space. Make the sump comfy like a teenage hangout or hubby mancave in the basement. The display tank with sump doors temporarily closed is for when in-laws visit.

Last edited:

tmo65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do fish time outs really work?

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.1%
Back