Headline: "Relative noob puts big tank in office"

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest Pics:

It seems to be proper protocol to update build threads with the latest pics. Since the first couple of pages of this thread are nothing more than mental wandering and ramblings, I figured I'd play along.

The tank is about 6 months old now. This is the latest view from my desk:

6-2-24.jpg

How this thread started:

I’m in the process of returning to the hobby after about 20 years of being away. My last tank was in my office, and I’ve been wanting another one at work for a while now. The only things stopping me are fear and common sense, and I’ve never had much of either of those. I’ve posted some of my thought process in an intro post, and have been coaxed to continue that thought process as a build thread, so here we are

In terms of goals:

I’m much more interested in invertebrates than fish.

I’m equally drawn to LPS, SPS, and Soft corals, so I’d like this to be a bit of a mix

I also like anemones

I’d love to work up to where I could keep a clam as they are a lifelong fascination of mine. I stopped short of these before because I never felt I had the right setup.

Random things I think I want:

I definitely want to do a system with a sump in the stand

Internal overflow(s)

I’ll run a skimmer as I am familiar with them but I want to leave open the possibility of adding a reef mat down the road. (I have read that may be too much filtration?)

I’d like to have a go at a refugium this time around

I am an engineer and a data junkie. Long term, I’d like some real-time data coming from my tank

Size:

This is up for debate. There are a few possible locations in my office. I’ve attached a couple of pics and a crude floor plan to show what I am juggling.

The coolest option would be something along the lines of a 125 to the right of my desk where the credenza is. (I’d get rid of the credenza) The window is a concern, but I was pretty committed to this idea yesterday. Then I realized that the stand my LFS has with the 125 won’t allow me to put in much of a sump. This has sent me off looking for higher quality stands, which has launched me off into higher quality tanks.

I could put a 6’x2’ tank along the angled wall, but it will crowd my table a bit. Something 60" long would be an easier fit.

I could also put a smaller tank in a variety of places in the little alcove.

I’ve really gotten into a tailspin today looking at tank options. I’d like to buy local if I can, but I’m not sure what my LFS can get yet. The Waterbox Frag 165 and 145 systems have caught my eye. I’m also a bit drawn to the Red Sea REEFER line, but am aware of the controversy around them.

Anyone care to suggest some other systems? Other ideas?

floor plan.PNG
PXL_20230224_172917841.jpg
PXL_20230224_172929730.jpg

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome back to reefing!
I am a huge fan of peninsula tanks. I would strongly conciser one. it's like having 2 tanks in one. so much fun.

here are some thoughts as I think about this often:

I own both WB and RS both are nice. the new G2 reefers are much more beefy then the G1 versions.

that said i have an Innovation marine 200 gal peninsula in bound. I would also look in to them.
they have a pretty good sale on right now. all tho there is a wait time on the larger ones of a 2-4 months. so if you can wait that is an option.

for red sea. like I said get the newer G2 series. so much better. even better if you have the space for the S 850 or S 1000 that would be even better. metal stands.

Water box infinity series are nice are there top of the line model along with the reef LX they come with the metal stand so that is nice. WB also offer some nice smaller peninsula than could fit your space nicely.

another option is CADE they have some nice features I love there built in controller cabinet. steel stands but I am not so sure on there built in ATO.

if you need a different size go custom from @joe@glasscages they can build you what ever you need. here is there tank builder its fun to place around with. https://build.glasscages.com/

lastly you could always get a small desk top like the WB 25 peninsula or the IM version for your desk with the intenion to go big come BF/CM when all the deals happen most have 10% off some brands more did does save you some $$ when getting the larger tanks that is for sure.

all the best!
D

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh here is another option, as I like spending your money...haha :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

SCA 150 http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-150-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-150g.htm
tank only then get A t slot stand for here:
https://www.tenecoraquariums.com/pr...aquarium-stand-60-inch?variant=43275427741909

add a sump of your choice and you're off to the races.

Ok another option as I am having fun.

get this bad boy for WB 171 gal reef LX

and have tenecor make you a wider 60" stand. they also have skins for the stands too.
for a sump, you can keep it cheaper and get either a 40br or the new 60br tanks from petco and DIY supper easy.

that would give you a great tank and somewhat reasonable price point.

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the leads and input. I have been considering a peninsula tank as I could have it sticking out from the alcove. That idea is definitely still in play.

I drove over to Indianapolis today to look around a LFS there. They deal in Planet Aquarium tanks and stands. Anyone have feedback on that company? They have a semi-custom line that is pretty attractive at the moment.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the leads and input. I have been considering a peninsula tank as I could have it sticking out from the alcove. That idea is definitely still in play.

I drove over to Indianapolis today to look around a LFS there. They deal in Planet Aquarium tanks and stands. Anyone have feedback on that company? They have a semi-custom line that is pretty attractive at the moment.
They make good tanks, I believe they started outsourcing their rimless (Tideline?) tanks to China but I think they're Mega Matrix are still USA made.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yeah planet aquariums are nice I have never had one or seen any in real life but there is quite a few build threads on here with them.

I was looking in to there 310 mega matrix a while back.
good luck!

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to narrow things down again. I just mocked up a 24" cube that could go at the end of my credenza with the glass cages builder. I also did another build for a 72x24 that would replace the credenza. Waiting to see what the shipping costs will be, but we have a commercial building with a loading dock, so I have that going for me.

I'm kind of leaning toward the smaller tank. There is a fair chance we will be moving to another building in about 3 years. Maybe I upgrade then and use the 24" cube as a quarantine tank.

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another exciting option is the Innovative Marine EXT 170 system. It's apparently on "Sale" right now, but I'm not sure if that means anything. Seems like a lot of value for $3700. I like the idea of the aluminum framed stand.

There is a radio button on the order page that acknowledges it takes 4-6 months for delivery? Is that correct? 4-6weeks I could see, but months seems like a typo.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another exciting option is the Innovative Marine EXT 170 system. It's apparently on "Sale" right now, but I'm not sure if that means anything. Seems like a lot of value for $3700. I like the idea of the aluminum framed stand.

There is a radio button on the order page that acknowledges it takes 4-6 months for delivery? Is that correct? 4-6weeks I could see, but months seems like a typo.
unfortunately that is the case. :( they are made in China and built to order then slowly shipped to the US, then trucker to you.

I ordered there 200 peninsula, as like you saw the value and I did not mind the wait as I also setting up another tank anyway. it this point I hope it does not get here until April so the snow is melted.

I tried a cube- ish tank I just did not like it for some reason, I know many folks do. in the end I like my tank wider then taller just looks better in my option.
but yeah if you know you are moving get something manageable.

the glass cages builder id fun to play with eh? some times i just play around with some dream builds or even small project tanks. :) joe is a great guy we have exchanged a few emails in the past.
I was gonna go with there 310 but would need to brace the floor even more so I chickened out.

the mocks up are a great way to "see" the tank in the space. I use cardboard or even cheap PVC ( if that is even a thing these days) to mock up the dims. so I can get a feel for it in the space.

good luck!

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the info. I'm trying real hard to spend my money on this continent these days. If I can swing it I'll probably order from Glass Cages, or Planet Aquarium.

The 72" tank is out of the running, but a 60" or 48" tank would still be an option. (both 24"x24" in cross section)

So, another question: It seems that a lot of lights are designed to illuminate a 24" square. That means a 60" tank would either require a 3rd light with a lot of overlap, or the ends would be a bit too dark. Am I understanding that right?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the info. I'm trying real hard to spend my money on this continent these days. If I can swing it I'll probably order from Glass Cages, or Planet Aquarium.

The 72" tank is out of the running, but a 60" or 48" tank would still be an option. (both 24"x24" in cross section)

So, another question: It seems that a lot of lights are designed to illuminate a 24" square. That means a 60" tank would either require a 3rd light with a lot of overlap, or the ends would be a bit too dark. Am I understanding that right?

that is correct most light are for 24" square not all but most these days. however one can supplement with t5s OR AI blades or other light bars.there is a few options out there.

I just got 2X ai blade for RS 300Xl 36x22x22 tank not up and running but so far I am liking them.

what's great about going custom is, Joe and team can build you what ever you want. lots of options for sure.
but might save some coin if your LFS is on the shipment of planet tanks. been awhile since i got a quote for shipping from them so I would ask about that.

*if I was in your shoes i wanted to keep my $$ in the states i would go with glass cages and a stand from tenecor with deck and shelf. they also offer panels for the stand too.

its fun and kinda frustrating tank shopping at times eh?

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, the Tenecor site is interesting. I hadn't found that on my own. I'm actually not opposed to an acrylic tank...

We work with 80/20 extrusions all the time at my company. I've actually considered just buying the parts to make a stand. I'm not sure I could do it as cheaply as what Tenecor lists it for though.

its fun and kinda frustrating tank shopping at times eh?

It's equal parts exhilarating and irritating :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, the Tenecor site is interesting. I hadn't found that on my own. I'm actually not opposed to an acrylic tank...

We work with 80/20 extrusions all the time at my company. I've actually considered just buying the parts to make a stand. I'm not sure I could do it as cheaply as what Tenecor lists it for though.

It's equal parts exhilarating and irritating :)

T nuts is another good site for T slot stands.
there is also framing tech:

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, talk about analysis paralysis. I'm flip-flopping more than a politician. Last night I was ready to click "Go" on a Cade system. Pricey, but the stand really tickles all my happy points. I'm trying hard to support more local manufacturing though, so I crossed it off the list.

If someone had an aluminum extrusion frame that had a nice set of doors, I'd be all over it. I'm waiting on a response from Tencor on what their options are for panels. I could make doors for the thing, but I'd rather buy the solution and spend the time working on other parts of the system.

You can see some of the options I've been considering:
tank options.JPG

I'm pretty much decided on a 48" long tank in a roughly 24" square cross-section. I'm torn between placing it back against the wall or going peninsula style. The piece of cardboard is 4'x2' (I have room to move the table and chairs around to suit either)

PXL_20230228_193918458.jpg

PXL_20230228_151039412.MP.jpg

Anyone care to kabitz on the location while I agonize over the rest of this?

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just submitted what I think will be the final configuration to Glass Cages. 48" long with their "Fine Furniture" stand. Low iron front glass, euro-braced, overflow in the center back wall. I'll probably make the order once I get the shipping quote in the morning.

One thing I am questioning: The standard is for there to be one drain and one return hole in the overflow. I see a lot of people putting in a 3rd hole as an emergency overflow. Should I do that while I'm having the tank built?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, talk about analysis paralysis. I'm flip-flopping more than a politician. Last night I was ready to click "Go" on a Cade system. Pricey, but the stand really tickles all my happy points. I'm trying hard to support more local manufacturing though, so I crossed it off the list.

If someone had an aluminum extrusion frame that had a nice set of doors, I'd be all over it. I'm waiting on a response from Tencor on what their options are for panels. I could make doors for the thing, but I'd rather buy the solution and spend the time working on other parts of the system.

You can see some of the options I've been considering:
tank options.JPG

I'm pretty much decided on a 48" long tank in a roughly 24" square cross-section. I'm torn between placing it back against the wall or going peninsula style. The piece of cardboard is 4'x2' (I have room to move the table and chairs around to suit either)

PXL_20230228_193918458.jpg

PXL_20230228_151039412.MP.jpg

Anyone care to kabitz on the location while I agonize over the rest of this?
I did the same thing when I was trying to decide. it really does help to see it layed out of paper right?

FYI Fiiji cube makes a int cornor tank so it could be both peninsula and wall tank. would just need to find a solution for the back of the stand, as it not a ture peninsula stand.
but looks like you are keeping your $$ in the US.

Personally I think the peninsula would not be best. Based on the cut outs you placed
^ This! I think you would get the most enjoyment of of a peninsula in that layout. the standard tank does not fit that space IMHO. but that just me I love peninsula tanks.

I just submitted what I think will be the final configuration to Glass Cages. 48" long with their "Fine Furniture" stand. Low iron front glass, euro-braced, overflow in the center back wall. I'll probably make the order once I get the shipping quote in the morning.

One thing I am questioning: The standard is for there to be one drain and one return hole in the overflow. I see a lot of people putting in a 3rd hole as an emergency overflow. Should I do that while I'm having the tank built?

personally I would go with the 3rd party overflow option. like modular marine or the like.
there is no way I would run a tank these days with out full siphon and E drain. I remember back in the day when stand pipes where the think and OMG they where so loud.

so 1 full siphon 1 E drain & 102 holes for return depends on how fancy you want to get.

have you reached out to Tenecor to talk to them about there panels for there stand?
I had there old school days a decade plus was a pain dealing with the doors but there fine furniture stands looks great.
think about side door for sumps and/or build in electric controller cabbie.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External 3rd party overflow w/ a third emergency drain hole would be my go to. Quieter, more room in the tank for what you actually care about, and the emergency drain just gives you piece of mind for very little added cost.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 84 42.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 97 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back