Hello and welcome to the Marine Aquarium Club of SW Florida.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the new frags went onto one new rock added to the tank. They all seem to be doing very well. But you know frags... they take a long, long time to grow into colonies. The coral banded shrimp molted the very first night in the tank. And now hangs upside down under an arch in the rockscape.

Last week I was at Bunche Beach taking sunset photos. The day before we had super high tides due to a strong low pressure system. There were baseball sized, soft orange sponges along the water's edge. So I took a towel I had in the car, picked up 3 sponges and brought them home (the sun had set, it was getting dark... and cold, and the no-see-ums were coming out). Now I've done the harvesting of pistol shrimp, porcelain crabs and tiny sea stars from sponges like this many times. But always while out on the Sanibel beaches, after a cold front and wearing dive gloves (due to the cold). I never had any issues. But this time I tore the sponges open in my garage with my bare hands. BAD IDEA! Sponges have spicules that are super fine. They got into the skin of my thumbs and first 2 fingers of both hands. They didn't bother me at all that evening. But the next morning they were slightly swollen, red, the skin surface was hard and they stung like crazy whenever I touched anything! The sting faded over the next 3 days. But even now, over a week later, they are still a bit touchy, still a bit swollen and the skin surface is still hard. I'd say I'm about 60% of the way back to normal. All that for 2 pistol shrimp, a few tiny porcelain crabs and 5 tiny sea stars. I'll know better next time!

But this is one of the photos I got that evening.

AAADSCN0769 R4  19x13.jpg

I think seeding dry rock is the way to go if you want a clean tank without hitchhikers or algae. That's what my cube is. And that's why I don't even have any fish in the tank... yet. But the breeder gets a variety of 'stuff' since it's my 'local' tank. But even there I'm pretty careful. But any live rocks from the places we snorkel almost always have curly-cue anemones which can propagate just like aiptasia. I brought home a very small rock that has a small red feather duster and now I have curly-cue anemones. But being in the 'local' tank, all I do is keep them under control and don't try to eradicate them.

BeastMode335i

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up Ron, it's Shane from over in SW Cape (Adam's brother). Glad to see you're still in the hobby, last time we spoke you had the huge flood and I thought you were getting out of the game! I've been out of the reef scene for a while with work life and a newborn, but I'm about to dive back in, no pun intended! =)

Glad to see some of the old crew still around! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up Ron, it's Shane from over in SW Cape (Adam's brother). Glad to see you're still in the hobby, last time we spoke you had the huge flood and I thought you were getting out of the game! I've been out of the reef scene for a while with work life and a newborn, but I'm about to dive back in, no pun intended! =)

Glad to see some of the old crew still around! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Hi Shane,

I was getting out, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Now I have two 40g aio tanks. Pretty easy to care for, probably because I have only 2 fish!

How is Adam doing? Does he have a tank any more?

I was just up in Daytona for the Roar Before the 24 which is practice and qualifying for the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona next weekend. In about 4 hours of track time I managed to take 8750 photos!

ADSCN6730 R1 19x13 Cad.jpg

3AADSCN6468 GTD Pro.jpg

reefinlehigh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to this forum not sure where to post this I have two tanks that I am giving away a 30 gallon red sea and a 14 gallon biocube both with stands and also skimmer the original and a hang on I am located in Lehigh Acres if anybody wants them just let me know

BeastMode335i

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to this forum not sure where to post this I have two tanks that I am giving away a 30 gallon red sea and a 14 gallon biocube both with stands and also skimmer the original and a hang on I am located in Lehigh Acres if anybody wants them just let me know
What a better time to get back in the hobby than to pickup a free tank! =)

Will PM my email, if you could send some pictures of each and what all is included that'd be great!

Thanks!

BeastMode335i

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shane,

I was getting out, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Now I have two 40g aio tanks. Pretty easy to care for, probably because I have only 2 fish!

How is Adam doing? Does he have a tank any more?

I was just up in Daytona for the Roar Before the 24 which is practice and qualifying for the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona next weekend. In about 4 hours of track time I managed to take 8750 photos!

ADSCN6730 R1 19x13 Cad.jpg

3AADSCN6468 GTD Pro.jpg
Nice to hear back Ron, and thanks for sharing those pics, you know us car guys drool over stuff like that lol!

Also cool to hear that you're still in the hobby, and yes with two 40 AIO's I bet you're maintenance is nowhere close to those huge tanks you've had in the past!

Adam is doing well, he's still here in SW Cape too, and also got out of the scene after he bought Eric's 300G tank a few years back and lost it after the hurricane. It was the 2nd or 3rd time he's had a huge tank go w/o power and lost everything, so I think he got quickly uninterested in the hobby after that.
I'm definitely looking to get back into the hobby, but just want to go small as well. I'm thinking nothing over 55g, but would like a rimless/clean looking setup for my man cave! You still have a lot of your fancy corals, or did you just do FOWLR?

Take care!

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a better time to get back in the hobby than to pickup a free tank! =)

Will PM my email, if you could send some pictures of each and what all is included that'd be great!

Thanks!
Willing to share? I'd take the Bio-cube if you don't have a use for it. And you are welcome to stop by and see if I have anything 'spare' that you might be able to use.
Nice to hear back Ron, and thanks for sharing those pics, you know us car guys drool over stuff like that lol!

Also cool to hear that you're still in the hobby, and yes with two 40 AIO's I bet you're maintenance is nowhere close to those huge tanks you've had in the past!

Adam is doing well, he's still here in SW Cape too, and also got out of the scene after he bought Eric's 300G tank a few years back and lost it after the hurricane. It was the 2nd or 3rd time he's had a huge tank go w/o power and lost everything, so I think he got quickly uninterested in the hobby after that.
I'm definitely looking to get back into the hobby, but just want to go small as well. I'm thinking nothing over 55g, but would like a rimless/clean looking setup for my man cave! You still have a lot of your fancy corals, or did you just do FOWLR?

Take care!
I have a small rimless tank I'd consider trading for that bio-cube if it's in good shape.

I let all my livestock go when I sold my 90g tank. I also gave away a lot of 'extra' stuff' I had.

I do have a couple of corals I'd be willing to share. I have a good size rock covered in mostly green zoas from the Keys as well as some encrusting gorgonian.

The only fish I have are 2 clownfish I got from a old SWFMAS member who was shutting down a tank. My 40g cube is all sps & lps corals, but none of them is very big yet. That tank has a coral banded shrimp, a couple of stars, 6 anemones and some CUC... no fish at all!

The other tank is all Florida collected stuff except for the clownfish. This tank also has the green zoas and encrusting gorgonian as well as a 3" mantis shrimp.

I'm kind of proud of the mantis shrimp as they are super hard to collect. It was about 2" long when I collected it last May. I almost never see it unless I'm feeding the tank. But then sea stars are like that as well, always hiding under rocks.

BTW, this is my current car. That's me inside while doing at track day at Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama. It's a track that the IndyCar Series runs in the Spring.

0059 Rich945A9037R1.jpg

Kdub Koral Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new here as well. I live in Naples but may be interested in the 30 Gal.

bvickery1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naples here as well. Getting ready to setup a small 33 Gal this summer (Actually cheaper buying new than retrofitting my 40 and 20g sump). Plan is to learn on small one and then get bigger and use small for my classroom.

Would love to meet up, maybe at a LFS or diner.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naples here as well. Getting ready to setup a small 33 Gal this summer (Actually cheaper buying new than retrofitting my 40 and 20g sump). Plan is to learn on small one and then get bigger and use small for my classroom.

Would love to meet up, maybe at a LFS or diner.
Welcome. I'd also like to invite you to look at a thread here called "Minimalist Reefer". I started it and it's aimed at using less hardware and making reefing easier. Here is a link: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/minimalist-reefer.1030960/page-4#post-12175067

zigzag930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I'd also like to invite you to look at a thread here called "Minimalist Reefer". I started it and it's aimed at using less hardware and making reefing easier. Here is a link: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/minimalist-reefer.1030960/page-4#post-12175067
Hi. I live in Punta Gorda and have been out of the hobby for 25 years. Recently I got the bug to start up a saltwater tank, which I will build as a mixed, but mostly reef tank.

Found a nice deal on a 90 gallon tank with L Rock, two MP40 powerhead, Radion lights, Reefkeeper system, Skimz PS and 30 gallon sump/refrugium.

We moved the aquarium from the east coast of Fl to Punta Gorda last week and I have it set up and running now. Seems like the mushroom corals may surivive and seem to be happy. There was no livestock, which is fine as I am still waiting on the nitrogen cycle to complete.

I would LOVE to meet and stay in touch with others in the area. I'm in sales and routinely drive to Naples, Bonita, Ft. Myers and Cape Coral.

I have lots of questions (never did corals before) and hope to be an active participant in this group.

Been to a few LFS's and trying to find one that I feel will guide me to a successful build without "pushing" product sales on me. Any suggestions are welcome.

Anyway, thanks for starting up this thread!!!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I live in Punta Gorda and have been out of the hobby for 25 years. Recently I got the bug to start up a saltwater tank, which I will build as a mixed, but mostly reef tank.

Found a nice deal on a 90 gallon tank with L Rock, two MP40 powerhead, Radion lights, Reefkeeper system, Skimz PS and 30 gallon sump/refrugium.

We moved the aquarium from the east coast of Fl to Punta Gorda last week and I have it set up and running now. Seems like the mushroom corals may surivive and seem to be happy. There was no livestock, which is fine as I am still waiting on the nitrogen cycle to complete.

I would LOVE to meet and stay in touch with others in the area. I'm in sales and routinely drive to Naples, Bonita, Ft. Myers and Cape Coral.

I have lots of questions (never did corals before) and hope to be an active participant in this group.

Been to a few LFS's and trying to find one that I feel will guide me to a successful build without "pushing" product sales on me. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sounds like a great start!

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome back into the hobby. I've been in it for about as long as you've been out of it! LOL!

I'm in Cape Coral and would be happy to meet you sometime when you are in the area. After all PG isn't that far from CC.

Feel free to reach out to me by email if you want. Maybe we can set something up. I also have a few corals you are welcome to take. My email is [email protected]

Wolfeman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to the Marine Aquarium Club of SW Florida. We have started this user forum because the Southwest Florida Marine Aquarium Society has basically gone out of business. Their FB page still exists, but that's about it.

My last tank:

Almost FTS June 2019.jpg

I'm now in the process of setting up a couple of 40g tanks that are aio (All In One) systems. One is a 40g Breeder with a Fuji insert and the other is a diy built by me, 40g cube and it's waiting for a custom made insert from Tenecor. I can't wait to get that one moving!
Ron! Glad to see your name. Long time member of SWFMAS here and just went to find the website and saw it’s non existent. What a shame. Hope you have been well. My handle was GreatWhiteWolfe in the club. I came to your house to purchase things in the past.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron! Glad to see your name. Long time member of SWFMAS here and just went to find the website and saw it’s non existent. What a shame. Hope you have been well. My handle was GreatWhiteWolfe in the club. I came to your house to purchase things in the past.
Well, welcome to this small collection of locals. I'd love for it to get more active, but it takes time.

I just did a 'Free Coral' ad on Craigslist and moved a lot of green zoas and encrusting gorgonians from the Keys that were starting to over take my local tank. Now I'm preparing to buy some RFA to fill half the floor space in a 40g breeder tank.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my retirement piece of dirt on Pine Island and was playing around with some design software for what type of tank/fish room I'd like when I build. It got me to wondering what the reefing/sps coral scene is like in the area, especially after Ian. Seems like there's not a big base, which is too bad. I'm really looking forward to having a tank far into my later years. It'll be a shame to break down the one I have now, though. I'll be sure to reach out in a few years when I get back home.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my retirement piece of dirt on Pine Island and was playing around with some design software for what type of tank/fish room I'd like when I build. It got me to wondering what the reefing/sps coral scene is like in the area, especially after Ian. Seems like there's not a big base, which is too bad. I'm really looking forward to having a tank far into my later years. It'll be a shame to break down the one I have now, though. I'll be sure to reach out in a few years when I get back home.
Great looking tank.

The saltwater aquarium community here had a big club for a number of years. But it faded away and now there are still a lot of tanks, but no community or club.

lex8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! New to the hobby and looking to get to know the local community. Just posted my build thread today.

I've lived in Miami all my life. I am on North Beach now, far from all the LFS

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @lex8! Love your IM tank. I live in Cape Coral 2 weeks per month. That will change when my daughter graduates from high school next year...then I'll be full time in FL

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! New to the hobby and looking to get to know the local community. Just posted my build thread today.

I've lived in Miami all my life. I am on North Beach now, far from all the LFS
Welcome to the group. I live in Cape Coral and if I ever go to an LFS, it's almost always in the Miami area. And I get 99% of my CUC from the waters around the Middle Keys when we go snorkeling. There is a long thread here about snorkeling and there is a link to it in my signature.

Back