help me plz, im scared. stand help

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
how long do u think it might last for? a bit more? or "forever"? should I just put it on top of my desk instead? would that be safer?
and how thick of a board?
You are rolling the dice with it, if it gets wet the cheap particle board it’s made out of will loose strength around the wooden dowels and screws that hold it together. A simple piece of 3/4 plywood will work as long as it spans the whole top.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
g
You are rolling the dice with it, if it gets wet the cheap particle board it’s made out of will loose strength around the wooden dowels and screws that hold it together. A simple piece of 3/4 plywood will work as long as it spans the whole top.
got a 1 inch thick board in my basement, gonna cut it up and use that
but
desk a valuable option?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Asa long as it supports weigh
could I also just put a thick block of wood that covers the whole top of the "stand"? so it evenly distributes the weight?
As long as it supports weight of tank. With rock and water weight,,,, figure 110 pounds

1715735638017.png

Also Petsmart - Top fin aquarium stands - Very low priced as well as Chewy.com

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Put it in the red area, the load is distributed directly down on the side panels. Should be fine as long as it don’t wobble left to right. I’m pretty sure that section can take more than 100lbs, the weight limit is more than likely there for the long span where you sit at. Plus it will give you a spot to do testing and such… and storage.
IMG_2483.jpeg

Last edited:

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 hardcore. If it gets wet, it's done. Me? I would get rid of that thing entirely. Your gonna spend a lot more money if it fails than replacing it out with something sturdy made of something other than compressed sawdust. The idea of getting a sturdy nightstand (with a low center of gravity) from Goodwill is excellent. You may have to brace the inside of it with a few short vertical 2x4s to maintain a level surface (do this BEFORE the weight is put on it), but you'll win in the end.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 hardcore. If it gets wet, it's done. Me? I would get rid of that thing entirely. Your gonna spend a lot more money if it fails than replacing it out with something sturdy made of something other than compressed sawdust. The idea of getting a sturdy nightstand (with a low center of gravity) from Goodwill is excellent. You may have to brace the inside of it with a few short vertical 2x4s to maintain a level surface (do this BEFORE the weight is put on it), but you'll win in the end.
so
it has been wet
for 3 months
so...
its fine tho
could I just brace it? or use a block?

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IKEA desk is constructed of "Particleboard, Particle- and fiberboard with honeycomb paper filling (100% recycled paper), Fiberboard". The max load is 110 lbs, which is nowhere near the headroom that's safe even with something that doesn't have some wicked inertia when pushed (as a box of water does), nor with something that will turn to mush when leaking water soaks in.

I personally would use only a stand that I have no question about the solidity and suitability of, as the emergency room isn't all that much fun. A hundred pounds of falling water with rocks and broken glass in it is no joke, to say nothing of the livestock that would be lost.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait
could I just ask why the back?
and desk and board as an option?
and ok :D
You could brace the front too, but the back is probably sufficient and would look nicer I think. You are only 30 lbs over the manufacturer’s claimed limit. I didn’t follow all the comments about desk and board, but if you are going to get a completely different piece of furniture then my brace suggestion is irrelevant.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IKEA desk is constructed of "Particleboard, Particle- and fiberboard with honeycomb paper filling (100% recycled paper), Fiberboard". The max load is 110 lbs, which is nowhere near the headroom that's safe even with something that doesn't have some wicked inertia when pushed (as a box of water does), nor with something that will turn to mush when leaking water soaks in.

I personally would use only a stand that I have no question about the solidity and suitability of, as the emergency room isn't all that much fun. A hundred pounds of falling water with rocks and broken glass in it is no joke, to say nothing of the livestock that would be lost.
its a 10 gallon cube...

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could brace the front too, but the back is probably sufficient and would look nicer I think. You are only 30 lbs over the manufacturer’s claimed limit. I didn’t follow all the comments about desk and board, but if you are going to get a completely different piece of furniture then my brace suggestion is irrelevant.
i removed everything from my desk :D
gonna put it there :D
thanks for the help tho :D

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back