Help with ID: Growth on Candy Cane

Andi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, there-

New to the world of Candy Canes. Brought one home from an aquarium shop we don't usually go to and noticed a growth of some sort on the side. They suggested that it the cane was growing, but (being a saltwater newbie and not having gained trust in the place yet) I'm not sure. To make matters worse, we went on vacation for a few days and when we returned home, we found the canes looked a bit worse for wear. (All parameters are good to go. Currently acclimating with light, but I turned the LEDs up a bit for the photo.)

The growth is soft, pink, and spongy and weaves between the stalks of the cane. It looks like it's hollow and filled with water. Additionally, at the bottom of the growth, there's some sort of star-like extension.

There's also a video of the star-like extension HERE.

Thank you for all your help!

IMG_7599.jpg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's either a sponge or a tunicate, I think sponge. The "star" is an appy.

You can pull the sponge off with your hands. If I found a single appy on a removeable frag, I think I would remove it from the water and literally scrape some of the rock off under it. Their foot can go within the rock. While you're at it, you can break some of those little white tubes off. None of those things are what's doing that to your coral.

Last edited:

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a sponge. Was the coral receding before the sponge started to grow?

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read again, the sponge was there when you bought it, right. Looks like you purchased a candy that was on its way out. Hope you didn't bring home any other hitchhikers. Don't think the sponge was the reason the coral is looking bad, I personally think the sponges growing in a tank is a good thing.

OP
OP
Andi

Andi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eee, yikes! Luckily, it is removable, so out it went. I'll be scraping and cleaning, as per your suggestion. Thank you, and wish me luck!

As for the candy, the coral was receding. Is there hope- and if so, how can if give him his best shot?

icemanalex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, you could try moving it to a different location an try feeding it some Mysis shrimp pieces see if it will eat.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is aptasia
Aiptasia-Closeup-1600x1200.jpg

OP
OP
Andi

Andi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everyone. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Back