How Would You Keep Phosphates/Nitrates Low Without Water Changes?

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals look kinda bad after a water change. Thinking of vacuuming the rock/substrate and then filtering the water through a micro cloth with funnel. Perhaps the nitrates and phosphates can be kept low with a few salt water plants. I do not have a sump and do not want one. thanks to you all

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing or refugium has worked for me and I don't perform water changes, don't have a sump and no skimmer required. Refugium the easiest as I don't worry about over dosing and getting a bacterial slime although that goes away soon as dosing stopped plus Fuge utilizes co2 raising Ph and can be ran counter display lights or 24/7 which I've done both fresh and salt. In the past I used Lanthanum chloride to further reduce phosphates but that is potentially concerning if using pool supply and I'm told best ran through a 5 micron sock which I didn't have and why I suspended it's use.

Both carbon dosing and Fuge can bottom out nutrients yet both can be tuned to avoid that although adding back nutrients to me easier than walking an edge as many others prefer to do. Keep it simple my approach.

I'm sure Randy will have better ideas but that's what's worked for me and I'm one of the few here not changing water. Hate buckets.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals look kinda bad after a water change. Thinking of vacuuming the rock/substrate and then filtering the water through a micro cloth with funnel. Perhaps the nitrates and phosphates can be kept low with a few salt water plants. I do not have a sump and do not want one. thanks to you all
What are you using for a filter and how stocked up on coral and fish are you? I struggle to keep nitrate over 10

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test your new water parameters and your tanks parameters.

If your corals are upset the day after a water change, then maybe your water parameters were really different.

Are you growing algae, what are your nutrients before water change ?

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to change water to also remove detritus etc. I think my problem is the 4 gallon water change I do once a month is to large. I have a 20G high with about 12 gallons of water in the tank. Perhaps I should change to two gallons every two weeks. My phosphates actually stay low with the use of Seachem's Phousguard. My nitrates by the end of the month is usually in the low 20s. By the end of the month the right side glass starts to change green which I hate. To be honest I just hate water changes. Would a few salt water plants keep the nitrates down? Perhaps a very small caddy with some cheato in it. Thanks to you all

caddy.PNG

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I often use a GFO/lanthium combo for phosphate …I don’t fully trust either by themselves for a number of reasons..

Nitrate AFAIK can only be address in a timely/practicle manner with a refugium or water changes… Carbon dosing for nitrates is a slooooow process IME

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back