Installing Bulkhead Tips

tcp316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never put the gasket on the nut side, because it's not made to take the friction of the nut spinning on it. That said, if the gasket is in good shape, and the surface it's on is clean and smooth, it will seal well...regardless of whether it's on the inside or outside of the tank. In other words, you can put the bulkhead in from the inside of the tank, or outside, nut inside or outside...but just put the gasket on the flare side, not the nut side.
I have used some "food grade" teflon pipe dope on the gaskets before, when I had sealing problems due to an imperfect gasket or surface.

Thank you! I will try that. I am hoping the gasket is usable.

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use a lubricant or sealant, it inhibits the rubber vulcanizing process which is much of the seal.

Munch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to Lowe's and HD, this is what they had, any one of the three a winner?

IMG_0046.jpg

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have some of the Oatey in my toolbox but prefer the stick versions as it is much thicker. You might try Ace Hardware, I bought my last stick there and its probably the LaCo brand private labelled for Ace.

BeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is directly from gl*******s installation instrucions:

If you have some silicone plumber’s grease (
Magic Lube
), squeeze a tiny bit on the gaskets,
just a nice little film. I like to use as little as possible to cover the entire gasket. I like to put a
dab on the bulkhead threads, as well. You don’t really have to do this step, but I feel better
about the whole deal when I do, and it makes future disassembly easier.

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would completely disagree, clean and dry is you best option. Lubricants on the gaskets inhibit the vulcanizing process or the rubber not to mention causes them to scoot out of place and distort. Also lubricants on the jamb nut threads allow it to loosen up with the slightest movement which is something you don't want. I stand by my suggestions based on 38 years in the water operations and maintenance industry, seen a lot of them over the years.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would completely disagree, clean and dry is you best option. Lubricants on the gaskets inhibit the vulcanizing process or the rubber not to mention causes them to scoot out of place and distort. Also lubricants on the jamb nut threads allow it to loosen up with the slightest movement which is something you don't want. I stand by my suggestions based on 38 years in the water operations and maintenance industry, seen a lot of them over the years.
I've done a lot of mantainence work in my career also... and some things to consider: You put antiseize on bolt threads and they don't untighten with any small bump. The argument I have heard on not using lubricants on bulkheads that makes most sense is that it can end up resulting in overtightening and breaking the nut. I typically install a bulkhead with threads outside so that I don't get any buildup on the threads...and getting it off later isn't ever a problem. As for lubrication on the threads causing the gasket to shift...that would likely only happen if the gasket is not sized properly or you overtighten. I think it's just a preference matter, really...not so much a right and wrong. It can be done either way, without problems, or done either way with problems resulting.

BeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of mantainence work in my career also... and some things to consider: You put antiseize on bolt threads and they don't untighten with any small bump. The argument I have heard on not using lubricants on bulkheads that makes most sense is that it can end up resulting in overtightening and breaking the nut. I typically install a bulkhead with threads outside so that I don't get any buildup on the threads...and getting it off later isn't ever a problem. As for lubrication on the threads causing the gasket to shift...that would likely only happen if the gasket is not sized properly or you overtighten. I think it's just a preference matter, really...not so much a right and wrong. It can be done either way, without problems, or done either way with problems resulting.

Agreed, And I always thought that was the whole point to the design of "Tapered Threads"???

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tapered threads are typically used when threads are used to make the seal....usually needing teflon tape or pipe dope. Bolt or straight threads are for squeezing an item or more than one item together.

OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outside threads on a bulkhead are not NPT or tapered threads so do not get tighter the more you turn the nut. As Engloid said, they are more like bolt threads with no taper so depend on the nut to stay tight thus the suggestion to not use any sealants or lubricants, clean and dry. You will experience more problems with a lubricated gasket versus a clean, dry gasket guaranteed.

hllywd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the Glass Holes overflow box, do you put the gasket on the outside of the tank wall not the inside? I installed my overflow box from Glass Holes and had a horrible time with it leaking. This was a year ago. I finally got the leak to stop but recently I noticed excessive salt creep and sure enough it is leaking again. A very small amount but I am going to have to fix it. When I do my next water change I am going to try to correct it. I can't quite remember how I put the gasket but I believe it is inside the tank not on the outside wall. The nut is inside the box. Any suggestions?

The second gasket that comes with the kit must be used between the overflow box, and the tank. The first one goes behind the flange. As has been stated many time, a gasket never goes next to the nut no matter the bulkhead's orientation.

I'm from the camp that likes a film or silicon plumbers grease on the gasket, and a dab of Oatley Teflon paste on the pipe threads of theaded bulkheads.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those tubes of paste is comparable to the PVC lubricant sticks. I have the Oatey too but use it for a different purpose. If you have not tried the LaCo or similar stick type PVC thread lubricant you will be very surprised at how well it works.

Nothing is needed on the nut, it will stay tight under normal use by itself and things like paste or teflon will actually make it loosen up and Loctite will make it hard to remove, defeating the purpose.

Back