Is this RODI System safe for aquarium use?

Aziq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got some spare money to use and im not sure what i can use it on, so im planning to buy this as an add for my fresh tank

Capture.PNG

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember to add back minerals. Can’t just use it direct other than for evaporation.

Kent R/O Right what many use to add back the required Ions that salt would correct. Discus keepers cut the replacement water by doing half tap and half RODI plus Kent. Really depends what fish you are keeping as they do it to lower pH where African cichlid keepers might go 100% tap assuming their tap hard such as the case here in south Florida. Freshwater fish aren’t affected by the metals present that would cause concerns with corals although all tap isn’t created equal and as such I wouldn’t use Flint tap without an RODI for drinking or fish friends.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In answer to your question about this being safe for aquatic use, the simple answer is yes. All RODI units on their own are safe. All made from the same materials pretty much.

The question is what filters are included? And are they for aquatic use!

Basically what is used for reef keeping is pre filter, 2 carbon blocks, membrane and a DI addition. Looks like this one hasn’t got the DI so that’s good for you if it’s freshwater use.

Once you receive it take a look at the filters. If in doubt just buy new ones from the likes of iSpring on Amazon. They do filters ideal for our use.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I kept fresh water for years but never saw the need for an RO system.
L.Erie water post 70’s is cleaner than its reputation and perfect for FW fish and could be used for in a pinch for Reef tank evap directly (outside of summer months). 120 ppm pH 7.2
I suppose that is also true for all the great lakes
OP before you purchase;
have you had your tap water ICP’d as a matter of course ?

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RODI for FW (planted) tanks, and have for nearly forever.

When I got my very first fish tank (55g, Central American cichlids) I lived at an apartment next to a golf course, and the well water killed fish pretty reliably (probably shouldn't have been drinking it, honestly). For a while I collected rainwater, which worked well, and then used those Cati and Ani DI canisters that I got from Drs F&S (anyone remember this? the most expensive way to make water, except for the urine purifier on the ISS), then I got a RO unit from Jack Wattley from an ad in the back of a fish magazine and never looked back.

RO/RODI makes troubleshooting the truly odd tank problems so much easier, since it eliminates the question of whether there's something weird in the WC and topoff water that's contributing. It also enables the keeper to tailor the tank parameters to any levels needed, as mentioned -- for plants, or fish that need truly soft water, or Rift Lake species, or low mineral content WCs to spur breeding.

OP
OP
A

Aziq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept fresh water for years but never saw the need for an RO system but I suppose that could differ depending on the tap water. I always temp matched at the faucet, dump a scoop of safe powder in the tank and fill.
I was planning on getting it since by next year or in a couple of months im planning on saltwater, so i thought RODI water would be a good purchase since i can use it on my freshwater too

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on getting it since by next year or in a couple of months im planning on saltwater, so i thought RODI water would be a good purchase since i can use it on my freshwater too
Makes sense. Just remember to add the DI filter module when you use this for saltwater

Back