Live Rock and cyanobacteria

dingo2031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get 3 or 4 more live rock cause I want to get more rock in the tank for a better look and a place to put coral. and maybe even make a cave! I have about 2 or 3 pounds of rock in the tank as well as a clownfish and 2 hirmits and 2 snails. I might get my firefish on friday or saturday. the tank size is a 8 gallon aqueon evolve 8. This has really been bothering me I have cyanobacteria in the tank im starting to do water changes more often and reduced lighting 2 only about 3 or 4 days a week so the fish only get about 2 or 3 days with light and ill try to keep u guys updated.:ballchain:

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also try to increase flow in the tank as every time I have seen or dealt with cyno it was because a lack of flow. Increased the flow in the tank and it went away with no other changes for me.

OP
OP
dingo2031

dingo2031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eric B should I point my out take up or down? Im going to get a Hydor 240 Powerhead and a Coralife 11'' T5 with typical 50/50 bulb setup?
Would that help too? and I get my flow up to a fast flow should I sypon the Cyano Out?

XaznKewLguyX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon as much as you can out.. Then add flow. I've even used ultra life red sllime remover with great success.

OP
OP
dingo2031

dingo2031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**Update** I got a 29 gallon biocbe moved all my fish and clean up crew we have some specs of cyano but not a outbreak im thinking of adding my power head to the left side right under the out flow what way should I point it? I havent done a water change yet cause It is a week old tank and I cant do the no lighting anymore cause I have a coral that needs photosentiese and I already had A head die on it from no light so

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try more CUC that will eat up the Cyano. Whats your phosphate reading? And how old are the lights?
Banded Trochus Snail
Astraea Turbo Snail
Spiny Star Astraea Snail

OP
OP
dingo2031

dingo2031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said I'm on vacation but once I get home ill give you the phosphate reading the light is about 1 and a half weeks old. My old post got deleted for some reason so yeah I'm on vacation and I wanted to resort to chemicals last and do you know if my brittle star will be affected by the "waste way"

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things :) first, to reiterate my pm response in case anyone else needs the info:
Re: Dr.tims waste way

Good question.Although I'm fairly certain it's the Re-Fresh that can be harmful to inverts, you can use a half dose if you're concerned. I personally have noticed no ill effects on my inverts (two blue-legged hermit crabs, one scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, two turbo snails, an astraea snail, and a nassarius snail) at all. I do recommend you follow the bottle's suggestion to use a half dose the first week (longer if your aquarium is in particularly bad shape.)I believe there is a way to get ahold of Dr. Tim himself to ask, but you'd have to hunt up his webpage/contact info.

Second, I notice you said 'chemicals'. Waste-Away is NOT a chemical. It's a blend of beneficial bacteria that naturally consume waste products, such as nitrate, phosphate, and some accumulated solid matter.

Just be sure to get the one for reef aquariums (mine reads reef, nano and seahorse) and do not overdose, and it should not be harmful. Overdosing can cause a dangerous drop in oxygen levels, but using it as directed has not bothered my inverts, fish, or corals.

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and before you balk at the price, it can be found on amazon.com for a fraction of retail. If you'd like a link to the exact one I ordered, I'll hunt it up for you.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase your flow. Put the Hydor on the opposite side from your return, directed up and at the return. Feed livestock sparingly. Siphon out a.m.a.p. No need for expensive chemicals just yet ;)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dingo2031

dingo2031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this might not matter I picked my self up a protein skimmer

OP
OP
dingo2031

dingo2031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well I'll be home today my plane leaves in a hour ill be at the tank and ill do what you said but for some reason my clownfish seams the fight the current?

OP
OP
dingo2031

dingo2031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I was at the aquarium today and they had a buetiful reef and they said they have very oxygenated tanks if I add a bubbler the the filtration system would that help? In the over flow box?

Planedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer will take care of that. Problem with stand alone bubbler is salt creep. With a skimmer it's all self contained

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer will take care of that. Problem with stand alone bubbler is salt creep. With a skimmer it's all self contained

Tapatalk on Galaxy S3
I agree. Stay away form the bubblers.

OP
OP
dingo2031

dingo2031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**UPDATE*** YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Cyano Is gone Protein Skimmer working and on Wednesday its my B-Day and Im getting my anemone!!!!!! Thank you everyone that helped me U guys are Awesome!!

Back