Live rock hitchhikers

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,I found these hitchhikers that came out of my live rock. The first one is some sort of strings that are in between two rocks. The second one is one string coming out of this tube on a rock. And the third one is a weird slug looking thing that was on the glass. Any ideas as to what these could be?

IMG_3671.jpeg IMG_3673.jpeg IMG_3414.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This first one is probably a Spaghetti Worm (Terebellid) - harmless/beneficial if so.
This one may be a peanut, ribbon, or spoon worm, but I can't tell from the pic (though it does seem awfully long and skinny for a typical peanut worm) - if you can get closer up, clear pics (preferably under slightly brighter white light), I may be able to offer a better ID there.
This is a good pic of the underside, but we'd need pics of the top (and preferably side as well) to try and help you get an ID on this one.

OP
OP
V

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This first one is probably a Spaghetti Worm (Terebellid) - harmless/beneficial if so.

This one may be a peanut, ribbon, or spoon worm, but I can't tell from the pic (though it does seem awfully long and skinny for a typical peanut worm) - if you can get closer up, clear pics (preferably under slightly brighter white light), I may be able to offer a better ID there.

This is a good pic of the underside, but we'd need pics of the top (and preferably side as well) to try and help you get an ID on this one.
Hey, the flat critter on the glass hadn’t come out until today. I managed to take this picture of the top side. I’m not sure if it’s the same one because this one looks smaller and has a more yellow/brown color to it. As for the side, it’s just flat and transparent.

Attachments

• IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 11

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, the flat critter on the glass hadn’t come out until today. I managed to take this picture of the top side. I’m not sure if it’s the same one because this one looks smaller and has a more yellow/brown color to it. As for the side, it’s just flat and transparent.
If that's the top and the critter is flat (not really rounded/taller in the center), then that's a flatworm of some variety - you probably want to remove it, and flatworms are generally neutral at best in this hobby.

Back