Mateo’s 5 gallon Thunder Dome round 2!

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I finally decided tonight was the night to redo my 5 gallon pico. I had been wanting to do this for a while now, the last few months I had been only topping it off and not really paying any attention to it.
This is the before shot.
IMG_0608.jpeg

It started off its life as a glo fish AIO pico. I love the size and the curved glass on it. In order to build it out like I want to, I needed a blank slate. I dumped everything… Rocks, sand, media….everything. The snails went into my 50 and the gsp, Xenia and palys went to a bucket. I will see if the LFS wants them in the morning, if not, I know the garbage can will take them. I razor bladed the glass, broke down the pump and meticulously scrubbed EVERYTHING. Clean tank, check!
Now on to the fun stuff. I had a new in the box Kessil a80 tuna blue but had no mount. So I pulled out some acrylic scraps and rigged up a half way nice mount. Light, check!
I had picked up a bag of fine aragonite sand a couple days ago so in that went… for some reason Iv always been a fan of aragonite substrate…. Now for the rock. When I broke down my 14 gallon cube i had bleached all the tonga fusion rock I had so I sweet rock was ready and waiting. About 15 minutes and 6 little super glue tubes later…. We have aquascape. Aquascape, check!
IMG_2153.jpeg

A total of about 4 hours and it’s done and bubbling. Water, check!
IMG_2154.jpeg

I took the scrubbie I’ve had floating around in my 50’s sump and transferred it to the pico and added a couple drops of ammonia to get it cycling. Tomorrow I will add a bio ball or two to speed things up.
The acrylic light mount really turned out great. It almost looks like it was factory made to go on here.
IMG_2156.jpeg
IMG_2157.jpeg

Now that this one’s been reset and all fresh and new, I’m thinking about doing cyphastria on the rocks and maybe a BTA/single clown combo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Upon start up I added 2 ppm of Fritz fishless fuel (ammonium chloride). And a rock from my sump. Yesterday I added half a bottle of turbostart 900 because why not. I tested the ammonia today and the salifert test still said 1ppm. I’ve always hated ammonia tests, especially this one. I tested nitrates tonight and my Hanna reported 75 ppm…. So…. A water change is in order and that ammonia test kit is going in the garbage.
Good news is, I see pods running around in there and there is little feather dusters still alive on the rock so I know it is now supporting life… YAY!

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did a 3 gallon then a 2 gallon water change today. After those were done I tested the trates and phates with my Hanna checkers and I’m looking at No3 at 10.5ppm and Po4 at .03ppm. Perfect! I may go find a clown for it tomorrow.
IMG_2279.jpeg

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
love it! Ive been enjoying your youtube channel as well! cheers!
Awesome! Glad to have you along for the ride!

Got a black ice clown for the thunder dome today. He’s loving his new home! Got some clean up crew members too, a couple hermits, a nassarius and a cerith snail.
IMG_2321.jpeg

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is, I see pods running around in there and there is little feather dusters still alive on the rock so I know it is now supporting life… YAY!
If you have mature live rock in there, not sure you need to treat it like a newly cycled tank. Was a “rip clean” kind of cleanup, but reused the rock? If so, bacteria will be still there in force. Looks good though! I have a nano in need of this treatment

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you have mature live rock in there, not sure you need to treat it like a newly cycled tank. Was a “rip clean” kind of cleanup, but reused the rock? If so, bacteria will be still there in force. Looks good though! I have a nano in need of this treatment
All the rock came out of the 14g I broke down last year. It was bleach cured prior to this rebuild. The original rock that was in this tank was discarded. I added a piece or two of rock and a mesh scrubbie that’s been in my 50 gallon tanks sump for almost a year. The extra bottled bacteria was one of those “why the heck not” kinda additions. Thank you for the love though!

OP
OP
19Mateo83

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got the spectral x controller hooked up to the h80 today, also got some of my nuclear green capnella frags in there the other day. The tank is also starting to go through diatoms, burning off the silica from the new sand. Hopefully this will cause a pod population boom.
IMG_2418.jpeg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 31 21.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back