Moving fully grown Kenya tree coral

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Kenya tree corals, they are dropping branches as usual. My question is how can I move a large Kenya tree without moving the rock it's attached to? Can I just use a razor blade and cut it off at the base?

77railer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a few options here...
1. cut the "trunk" near the base=using rocks to wedge the tree between so it grows elsewhere, or using a rubberband to adhere it to the rock till it attaches
2. use bones cutters to cut away the layer of rock right beneath the tree and then glue it anywhere you want.
If you go with option #1 you will have some chemical discharge from the trunk and base...but it shouldnt be an issue...however the small layer left will usually grow into another tree. If you go with option 2 there is no "damage" to the coral and very minimal discharge during the process as long as you handle the coral gently.
Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
Sealion

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a few options here...
1. cut the "trunk" near the base=using rocks to wedge the tree between so it grows elsewhere, or using a rubberband to adhere it to the rock till it attaches
2. use bones cutters to cut away the layer of rock right beneath the tree and then glue it anywhere you want.
If you go with option #1 you will have some chemical discharge from the trunk and base...but it shouldnt be an issue...however the small layer left will usually grow into another tree. If you go with option 2 there is no "damage" to the coral and very minimal discharge during the process as long as you handle the coral gently.
Hope this helps :)
Thanks, I took the chance with your option 1 and cut it off right at the Rock, almost nothing stayed behind. It's now attached to a rubble rock in a smaller tank. Doing fine.

juliatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great stuff, guys. Thanks. I have to transplant a Kenya tree myself for the first time, and was getting a bit nervous.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back