_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has all happened within this week:

Brand new Flasher wrasse bullied and killed by clowns
Orchid dottyback has part of tail fin missing and is turning white
Mandarin pelvic fin turned white then fell off exposing bone and today he is not moving and breathing extremely heavily

The only parameter that is off is high nitrates but I believe it is clownfish aggression. Does anyone know what I should do or how to heal these fish?

IMG_7929.jpeg
IMG_7926.jpeg
IMG_7898.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just off the cuff I’m arresting those clowns, looks like 1st degree battery… but that might be construed as illegal “profiling”
but never mind me call the medics

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon long, with 5 fish. They all live in harmony for 6 months now and before that the clowns were with the dottyback in a 10 gallon for 6 months (I didn’t know what I was doing)

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m putting my clowns back in the 13 by themselves with an anemone, but how do I ago about helping the fish if they already have white marks or are breathing heavily and not moving

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I’d leave them alone for now and just observe,…but better answers might still be had
My plan for now is to set up the 13.5 again, water change the 30 gallon, and put the clowns in jail. But as for the already harmed fish I really need this mandarin to live we’ve been through too much together :crying-face:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This has all happened within this week:

Brand new Flasher wrasse bullied and killed by clowns
Orchid dottyback has part of tail fin missing and is turning white
Mandarin pelvic fin turned white then fell off exposing bone and today he is not moving and breathing extremely heavily

The only parameter that is off is high nitrates but I believe it is clownfish aggression. Does anyone know what I should do or how to heal these fish?

IMG_7929.jpeg
IMG_7926.jpeg
IMG_7898.jpeg
Start with water quality and are fish eating and breathing normal?
If eating, next feeding, set your cell phone on video mode for about 25 mins and walk away- Must walk away as they know you’re there
Come back and review and see who the aggressor is and what is going on

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with water quality and are fish eating and breathing normal?
If eating, next feeding, set your cell phone on video mode for about 25 mins and walk away- Must walk away as they know you’re there
Come back and review and see who the aggressor is and what is going on
Water quality is nominal except for nitrates around 25ppm. The dottyback seems more picky than usual but is still getting food, the mandarin did not eat at all today. The aggressor is definitely the clowns I’ve seen them kill my cleaner shrimp and flasher wrasse

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon long, with 5 fish. They all live in harmony for 6 months now and before that the clowns were with the dottyback in a 10 gallon for 6 months (I didn’t know what I was doing)
The clowns might be spawning which creates significant aggression in small systems.

Saltyreef24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say “high nitrates” how high do you mean? For one person high may be 15 for another 50. IME, a recent increase in nitrate levels, or a level over 25ish, can contribute to fin health issues in some fish, especially when compounded with aggression stress. Clowns, however, would seem least likely to be negatively impacted because they are so robust.

Saltyreef24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality is nominal except for nitrates around 25ppm. The dottyback seems more picky than usual but is still getting food, the mandarin did not eat at all today. The aggressor is definitely the clowns I’ve seen them kill my cleaner shrimp and flasher wrasse
Just saw this now, I was typing while you posted

Saltyreef24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also going to do a 30% water change as I have not In a while and it’s time to
Okay. Hopefully the wc will help the injured or infected fish to begin to heal. Are you still planning to pull the clowns? Even if the issues were primarily caused by water quality, a little peace and quiet from the clowns might help the others to recover.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Hopefully the wc will help the injured or infected fish to begin to heal. Are you still planning to pull the clowns? Even if the issues were primarily caused by water quality, a little peace and quiet from the clowns might help the others to recover.
Yes I am still planning on that. I’m going to get sand and salt and then use the rock the anemone is attached to to skip cycle and hopefully get them in today

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately with fish aggression and damage - the solution is to immediately isolate the affected fish (or the one doing the damage) - whether with an acclimation box or a new tank, etc etc. In any case - with regards to your fish - it seems like a parasite is very unlikely. I would treat the damaged fish in a hospital tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic. (kanamycin/neomycin)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update… the mandarin has passed and the dottyback does not look good
I understand everyone is keying in on aggression - but the rapid breathing symptom is worrisome. Fish will breath rapidly if being chased around, but that will settle down when they are not actively being chased. I’m also wondering why there would be widespread aggression in a tank that had been operating problem free for a time.

Here is a possible scenario - the fish ave some disease issue causing the rapid breathing. That weakness makes them more prone to being harassed by other fish

Back