My issue with Hanna Checkers

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checkers are advertised as the end all be all of parameter testing, but when you really think about it what are they?
And to be honest the answer is very underwhelming and makes me question their ~$65 a pop for a tester. The chemistry is the exact same as any cheap reagent kit, you add the liquid and it changes into a color corresponding with the level of the parameter you're testing. Every normal reagent kit comes with a card that has the levels worked out for you and i'm sure the math itself isnt super complicated, so what exactly are the hanna kits doing?
It shines a light at a sensor and displays the score at a screen..... ok sure, I guess $65 for a photometer isnt a horrible price considering it comes with the reagents. What i hate is the individually sold kits, where the only actual difference is the color of the shell and software XX/60 are all the same price, and if you want to have an all in one solution you have to pay $350-$450 for what is basically the same exact hardware but square and they added a couple of buttons to switch what curve it reads off of

As far as I understand you can recreate the exact same thing with a test tube, a cool white LED and a half decent photometer and you would just have to have an understanding of the formula behind it.
So why hasnt anyone made a knock off yet?
The marine master looks exactly like something a factory in beijing could duplicate and sell on aliexpress for $70, in fact the build quality of the official kit is very reminescent of the clone boys you use for swapping iphone SN's

If anyone has a marine master and is technically inclined i would love a picture of the internal hardware as i seriously doubt it's any more advanced than a ti-34

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back