Need some enlightenment.

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make this post simple hoping to get some insight. My tank has uronema. Recently I got velvet. It wiped out 5 of my fish in 1 night. Decided to pull the plug on corals and dosed copper. I've been at the full 2.5ppm with coppersafe using a Hanna checker...its been 3 weeks and spots keep appearing on my tang mostly they go away a little bit but come back more and now starting to show on my chromis. Is this velvet beating my copper. Or is this uronema upset at me that I dosed copper. I don't know what to do. I already dosed copper in the DT can I add ruby rally? Would that help??

First pictures are the tang the second set of pics is the one infected chromis out of 7. Third set of pics is clownfish and damsel to show they are happy and healthy so it seems.

I've fought ich before and beat it so I'm aware of how to dose copper and maintain therapeutic levels. Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks reef fam :)

20240515_181345.jpg 20240515_181321.jpg 20240515_181209.jpg 20240515_181439.jpg 20240515_181408.jpg 20240515_181243.jpg 20240515_181238.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a lot to unpack here - Its not velvet - and I don't think its ich - if you're talking about the large brownish area on the side. It looks like an injury - with an infection after. It could be uronema - but it's not typical in that location. You should not mix ruby rally with copper. Instead I might switch to entirely ruby rally. You may also need a broad spectrum antibiotic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I want to make this post simple hoping to get some insight. My tank has uronema. Recently I got velvet. It wiped out 5 of my fish in 1 night. Decided to pull the plug on corals and dosed copper. I've been at the full 2.5ppm with coppersafe using a Hanna checker...its been 3 weeks and spots keep appearing on my tang mostly they go away a little bit but come back more and now starting to show on my chromis. Is this velvet beating my copper. Or is this uronema upset at me that I dosed copper. I don't know what to do. I already dosed copper in the DT can I add ruby rally? Would that help??

First pictures are the tang the second set of pics is the one infected chromis out of 7. Third set of pics is clownfish and damsel to show they are happy and healthy so it seems.

I've fought ich before and beat it so I'm aware of how to dose copper and maintain therapeutic levels. Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks reef fam :)

20240515_181345.jpg 20240515_181321.jpg 20240515_181209.jpg 20240515_181439.jpg 20240515_181408.jpg 20240515_181243.jpg 20240515_181238.jpg
I dont see uronema and you will likely find anything formalin based. Uronema is oval and ciliated which is not shown, however bacterial is present and best treatment for the tang is Seachem Kanaplex (only - not mixed) which is easily absorbed by the fish. The chromis will do well with Ruby Rally pro or treat all with Seachem Neoplex and added aeration with air stone

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - you could consider a formalin dip - though I think a longer treatment period is what I would recommend.
There is a lot to unpack here - Its not velvet - and I don't think its ich - if you're talking about the large brownish area on the side. It looks like an injury - with an infection after. It could be uronema - but it's not typical in that location. You should not mix ruby rally with copper. Instead I might switch to entirely ruby rally. You may also need a broad spectrum antibiotic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont see uronema and you will likely find anything formalin based. Uronema is oval and ciliated which is not shown, however bacterial is present and best treatment for the tang is Seachem Kanaplex (only - not mixed) which is easily absorbed by the fish. The chromis will do well with Ruby Rally pro or treat all with Seachem Neoplex and added aeration with air stone
Curious - I can't see the microscopic samples - Are there some? Edit - didn't see above post

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I diagnosed velvet in the beginning with the help of fish medics when I dosed copper no other fish died. The tang was getting into it with a yellow damsel smaller than him and the damsel was always the instigator lol. But I rehomed the damsel and the markings just appeared on the chromis yesterday. I was thinking bacterial as well like vetteguy said but I just don't know how to explain the sudden markings all over the chromis.

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to explain all the sudden spots on the chromis that appeared overnight they kinda resemble the tangs. Could bacterial happen like that in a day? Could I dose neoplex to the water column with the copper in there?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't know how to explain all the sudden spots on the chromis that appeared overnight they kinda resemble the tangs. Could bacterial happen like that in a day? Could I dose neoplex to the water column with the copper in there?
Bacterial often develops and suddenly as with ich you see signs.
Assure water quality is good as well as removal of debris which causes issue with water quality and another possibility with tang - Have you seen it itching or scratching?
Heavy breathing?
If itching can be flukes

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial often develops and suddenly as with ich you see signs.
Assure water quality is good as well as removal of debris which causes issue with water quality and another possibility with tang - Have you seen it itching or scratching?
Heavy breathing?
If itching can be flukes
Okay will do.. yes the tang is scratching and swimming in the flow of powerhead every now and then

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are the tang lesions on both sides or mostly just on the left side? If it is localized, it is most likely an injury, as parasites tend to spread more randomly.

This isn’t ich or velvet. It is unlikely to be Uronema as tangs don’t often get that, it would look different than this, and green chromis are the poster child for Uronema infection and they would bear the brunt of an infection (I can’t see the affected chromis clearly enough to say if it is affected).

Did you have any issues maintaining copper levels with all that substrate in the tank?

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the tang lesions on both sides or mostly just on the left side? If it is localized, it is most likely an injury, as parasites tend to spread more randomly.

This isn’t ich or velvet. It is unlikely to be Uronema as tangs don’t often get that, it would look different than this, and green chromis are the poster child for Uronema infection and they would bear the brunt of an infection (I can’t see the affected chromis clearly enough to say if it is affected).

Did you have any issues maintaining copper levels with all that substrate in the tank?
Hey Jay sry for the late reply just got off work. The lesions are on only one side yes. I've had fish die from uronema they all get the red band that explodes. I also saw my yellow damsel survive a red band explosion which was wild. When my fish get uronema it happens within the first week but I've had these chromis a month now and those spots just appeared on one chromis only on one side. Yesterday the tang was in the flow of the powerhead and also minor flashing. As of today it looks like the lesions are healing again like they did a week ago but then came back. The copper did fluctuate at first but I kept adding more and checking everyday until it didn't fluctuate anymore. As of today copper reads 2.52ppm. I just bought general cure in case it's flukes maybe thinking neobenedinia attacking the head of tang. Don't know if it's bacterial or flukes. Neoplex or general cure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always <3

OP
OP
To(meany)Tang

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just looked closer and now see the chromis has it on both sides. They are like black bruises or smudges. I will post pics below of how tang looks now and chromis.

Attachments

• 20240516_152119.jpg
    20240516_152119.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240516_152059.jpg
    20240516_152059.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240516_152056.jpg
    20240516_152056.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240516_151606.jpg
    20240516_151606.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 5

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked closer and now see the chromis has it on both sides. They are like black bruises or smudges. I will post pics below of how tang looks now and chromis.
The marks on the green chromis look to me like what happens when they pick on a “low fish in the pecking order”. For a shoaling species, green chromis sure do fight a lot.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay sry for the late reply just got off work. The lesions are on only one side yes. I've had fish die from uronema they all get the red band that explodes. I also saw my yellow damsel survive a red band explosion which was wild. When my fish get uronema it happens within the first week but I've had these chromis a month now and those spots just appeared on one chromis only on one side. Yesterday the tang was in the flow of the powerhead and also minor flashing. As of today it looks like the lesions are healing again like they did a week ago but then came back. The copper did fluctuate at first but I kept adding more and checking everyday until it didn't fluctuate anymore. As of today copper reads 2.52ppm. I just bought general cure in case it's flukes maybe thinking neobenedinia attacking the head of tang. Don't know if it's bacterial or flukes. Neoplex or general cure? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always <3
If you could catch the tang without damaging it, you could give it a 5 minute FW dip as a diagnostic tool. Trouble is, only Neobenedenia is large enough to see with the naked eye, other species require a microscope.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back