New line of UV sterilizers from Lifeguard

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I own the 25W, the 40W and the 55W. I’ve been running all 3 since last summer and ancedotally seems to have kept ich at bay as when 2 of 3 went offline I had outbreaks in 2 of the 3 tanks …
noteworthy:
Parts seem to be readily available through MarineandReef …
I did have one burn up after my Apex stopped working and failed to notify me of a water flow issue (my fault?)
here is the unit being repaired as we speak:
IMG_0612.jpeg

New bulb, o-rings and inner sleeve….
IMG_0613.jpeg

a 25W unit on 300G2, no disease so far
Hate to bring up an old post but is your uv free standing? I just purchased a Lifegard too and planning to stand it vertically but I cannot mount it due to no room to actually mount it. Wondering if free standing will cause any issues?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually vertical avoids air voids…
On two of em I ended up going horizontally inside a red sea stand: P.I.T.A !!!!
related: that humongous form factor is a pain IMO

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually vertical avoids air voids…
On two of em I ended up going horizontally inside a red sea stand: P.I.T.A !!!!
related: that humongous form factor is a pain IMO
Yeah I have no room in my sump. I got the 90w one. I can drill it up top but changing the bulb would be a pain. That’s why I asked if yours was free standing vertically based on the pic u posted. Just trying to confirm if it’s okay to not have to bolt uv to something to hold it or it can be free standing vertically.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have no room in my sump. I got the 90w one. I can drill it up top but changing the bulb would be a pain. That’s why I asked if yours was free standing vertically based on the pic u posted. Just trying to confirm if it’s okay to not have to bolt uv to something to hold it or it can be free standing vertically.
Just info but FWIW what you see in that old pic is the unit mounted to a piece of 1/2” PVC sheet with “French Cleats” …sorta kept the holes/damage to a min and made unit removal a lil easier

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hate to bring up an old post but is your uv free standing? I just purchased a Lifegard too and planning to stand it vertically but I cannot mount it due to no room to actually mount it. Wondering if free standing will cause any issues?
I built a little mount to support it standing up and have it running stand alone right next to my DT

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just info but FWIW what you see in that old pic is the unit mounted to a piece of 1/2” PVC sheet with “French Cleats” …sorta kept the holes/damage to a min and made unit removal a lil easier
Funny you mention that because that's how I mounted mine a couple weeks ago - with french cleats I made from some scrap 1" thick HDPE I had sitting around. Made 4 little cleats that the UV metal brackets can slip into - just tight enough not to move but loose enough to lift it out for maintenance when need be. Mine is mounted horizontal since that's all I could fit (just the baby 25w).

For those that plumbed theirs horizontal - do you have a problem with getting the air out on pump restart (mine is on return line and I don't have a check valve on it)?

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I built a little mount to support it standing up and have it running stand alone right next to my DT
Have a picture of it so I can get a better idea? I have room on the left side but would have to run really long plumbing back to the right side due to the return pumps being in the right side.

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have a picture of it so I can get a better idea? I have room on the left side but would have to run really long plumbing back to the right side due to the return pumps being in the right side.
Can you tell I used spare pvc…? Works pretty dang well though and cleared the water up nice. I also get the extra flow from the jebao dcp 8000. Can also control flow rates easier than running it through the return.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 21

xslimzx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you tell I used spare pvc…? Works pretty dang well though and cleared the water up nice. I also get the extra flow from the jebao dcp 8000. Can also control flow rates easier than running it through the return.
As long as it works though. I could run it like that, I didn’t think of it, I was gonna try to run from
Return on sump back to DT. But from DT back to DT would work as a closed loop right?

Semper.Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As long as it works though. I could run it like that, I didn’t think of it, I was gonna try to run from
Return on sump back to DT. But from DT back to DT would work as a closed loop right?
Yep! And you don’t have to worry about air bubbles since the UV will be vertical. As long as you have the water pushing up through the UV.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back