Operation Tank Redeux

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since I am off next week and we are painting our main room (which requires moving the tank out from the wall), I will be implementing "Operation Tank Redeux: Shock and Awe!". I have become fed up with the very invasive bubble algae that I have and the occasional hair algae battles that I have had to deal with. The plan right now is to remove all the rock, scrub it down the best I can (hopefully not killing too many coral in the process), add some sand (it is BB now, adding probably 1.5" or so), clean everything down the best I can, adjust flow accordingly with the new rock work and sand, and see what happens. I'll take some pictures as I go along, just in case anyone is interested or can give me some tips as I go. We will see if this has any positive impact in the long run.

OP
OP
Paintguru

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tank was moved yesterday and the wall behind it was repainted (room looks good!). Rock was moved to the frag tank, along with corals. Fish were kept in a Rubbermade tub for a day or so. Scrubbed every last bit of algae off that I could (I swear, that mini-bubble algae is a nightmare to get off). Did find that I still have 3 emerald crabs, so hopefully they can keep things in check now. Put my new sand in to about 1.5" depth (wish it was courser, got 2mm stuff). Refilled tank, turned powerhead on, thankfully, no major sand shifts or storms. Moved fish back into the tank (water was a bit cold, should have probably heated it up first...ah well). Letting things run for a bit now before moving the rest of the coral back. Did a simple island rockwork, which is fairly compact and should allow for reasonable water flow around it. I'll take pictures once the light is back on and everyone is in. This sure doesn't feel like a week of VACATION! :)

OP
OP
Paintguru

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old FTS:

newtank.jpg

Current FTS:

FTS7-1-08.jpg

Guess I will see if I can keep the algae at bay. I need to figure out how to mount my Z&Ps to the rock work (probably just some putty on the ceramic donuts will do).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back