PH Problems

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice on some ph swings im having. I have a 65g tank with a 30g sump. Currently my alk is 9.6 , calcium 460 and my mag is 1400. The problem is during the light off cycle my ph is dropping as low as 7.5-7.6. I dose 25 ml of b-ionic 2 part each day. My lights have been on for 2 hours now and my ph is reading only 8.0. I have an auto matic top off system going and I'm adding about 2 gallons a day. Is the ro/di water dropping my ph that much? Do i need to start buffering my water of is it time for kalkwasser? Thanks for any info.

SouthernR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a fuge? If so have you tried running a reverse lighting schedule to buffer the swing?
Or maybe drip lime water aka kalkwasser during your lights out period.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PH will change during the day and then level at night. In some new tanks it take time for this reading to level out. If in a safe range then i wouldnt try and fix. And you neec to check in the morening around the same time for most accurate readings.

Also JSYK low flow can effect your PH as with some salt brands.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do also. I used to try and adjust my PH and i think it only confused me. I left alone and its just fine. It will always rise during the day from feeding and fish activity and daily tank activitys. As long as its in the safe zone then dont worry only monitor.

Could be from water flow, whats used for water movement in the unknown size tank?

I have lighting on my fuge 24/7 i forgot to add.

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do also. I used to try and adjust my PH and i think it only confused me. I left alone and its just fine. It will always rise during the day from feeding and fish activity and daily tank activitys. As long as its in the safe zone then dont worry only monitor.

Could be from water flow, whats used for water movement in the unknown size tank?

I have the tank sizes in the post a 65/30g. I have 2 koralia # 3's and i have 1200 gph overflow/return. My tank has a ton of flow for its size. I even stuck a koralia nano in the fuge because im keeping some frags in there. I guess i just thought this was a low ph. For the first 8 months or so the tank was set up i never saw the ph go below 8.0-8.1

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure about a ton of flow but flow should be good and not the problem.

If you passing 1200 GPH through the sump then your sump wont work up to par.
Your other readings seem fine also. Its your calcium load or corals that need calcium that would help determine if you should dose or not. If you have low to no coral and the readings stay in safe levels between water changes then its not needed but wont hurt.

I think your fine just let your tank mature , take atleast one yr with steady conditions .
This may help. GL..

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

salty_newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 build up in your house will cause pH to drop... I assume that now since it is summer you are running your A/C therefore CO2 will build up in your house because you are not getting gas exchange in your house. Open a window near the tank for a week or so and see what happens.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point , tank placement.

CO2 build up in your house will cause pH to drop... I assume that now since it is summer you are running your A/C therefore CO2 will build up in your house because you are not getting gas exchange in your house. Open a window near the tank for a week or so and see what happens.

fragjunkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kalwasser will bring it up. but i wouldn't worry too much. a lot of people have pH in that range with no problems. i ran a air hose from the window to my skimmer air inlet to help up my pH.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back