Powerhead Question?

broskie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be setting up a 57 gallon rimless and was wondering what would be the best setup for the powerheads and being price conscious. I will be doing a FOWLR to start with but will be moving to a reef as time allows. This is just to start and I will save up for more powerheads as I can if needed.

1. A single MP10 on the side of the tank

2. 2 Tunze nano 6025's on a controller both on opposite sides

3. A single Tunze nano 6045

4. Your opinion on a better setup.

ricwilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of someone who has 2 MP40s in a 42g Bow Front. He has them set in the lowest setting. If you think that you will upgrade in the future, you might as well buy good powerheads now.

Adam_T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a single MP10 would do great on your FOWLR tank. And when you upgrade to a reef, all you would have to do is add another powerhead (doesn't have to be mp10) to the opposite side to create different current patterns.

I have a 55gal reef tank and just use 1xKoralia #3 and 1xKoralia #4. Mine work just fine for me but I will be upgrading to 2 MP10's in the future. I think MP40's are a waste of money unless you are using them on a much larger tank.

joelq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently partial to Tunzes, especially the DC controllable ones. But I have an Aquacontroller and an Aquasurf, and no other powerheads are controllable via the AC3. The wave action I'm getting on just one Tunze 6055 is awesome.

Having said that, you really can't go wrong between Vortech and Tunze, or Koralia for that matter. On options 2 and 3, neither the 6025 nor the 6045 are controllable, and you'd have to jump up to the 6055 for a controllable NanoStream pump, and it's about double the price of a 6045.

My suggestion, since you're starting with a FOWLR, but later moving to a reef, get a controllable pump now and just run it at a fraction of its max power. A FOWLR won't need as much flow as a reef, but when you're ready, you can just up the flow and you'll be good, then even later on, add another powerhead. So go with either one MP10 or one 6055, and you've futureproofed yourself for around $200.

If you go with the 6055, you can get a second 6055 in the future and plug them into one of Tunze's controllers to sync them up for some great wave action. I don't think the MP10 can be synced up with another MP10, but not sure.

mattmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of yesterday I switched from (2) koralia 4's and (1) koralia 3 to two mp40's on both side. I have had them since last night...but they looked awesome. I recommend like two mp20's on both sides because you can control the current. Just my input by either way I'm sure it will be fine.

Back