Quick Lighting Question

dwdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on upgrading the lighting over my AP 12g tank. I am going to build a canopy and install a 70w MH light over it. I was planning on using a Ushio 20kk (or should I go with a 14kk) bulb and the 27w Dual actinic for dusk dawn. My question is will this be overkill?

I know with the rock and sand that I have in there there is only about 8 or so gallons in the display.

Second question how high should I mount the light above the water. I was thinking 4"-5". I know I will have to vent the heat with fans so heat shouldn't be a problem plus I keep the house at 75 during the day so that should help as well. I won't be fitting this into the existing hoop as I will be removing it and replacing with a DIY canopy. What do you all think?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm I am not to sure about the height of the bulb, but I know it will not be overkill. You and your corals will love it!

OP
OP
D

dwdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response. I didn't think it would be but I thought I would ask as I have never use MH before. I just want to make sure that I cover the tank and if it is 5" off the water I think it will cover good.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just be careful with it so close. If you splash water on bulbs, or even on hot covers, they can explode into a million pieces!

Your welcome bro!

OP
OP
D

dwdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my other worry. If I place it 5" from the top of the tank then that will put it little over 6" over the water shouldn't have that type of splash in there. I hope.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 110 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 122 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back