Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
So i said i was thinking of doing a jar but it’s not so this is the start of my build Lol
IMG_1020.jpeg
So let’s talk filtering the vase I’m thinking sponge filter and that’s all it will need and the bubbles should give movement to the salt water and I am not going to use any heating.
As you can see the vase is slim and tall so I will have my work cut out . Follow along and see how it turns out.

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
This is going to happen at some point I discussed it with R2R two days ago so how long is a piece of string lol
Hopefully this isn’t too long before we go private
wohoo!

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
So let’s talk filtering the vase I’m thinking sponge filter and that’s all it will need and the bubbles should give movement to the salt water and I am not going to use any heating.
As you can see the vase is slim and tall so I will have my work cut out . Follow along and see how it turns out.
Interesting vessel, would bubbles and water change be sufficient or is a filter needed. A cover to limit evaporation?
I did the jar once, when the coralline grew in all the nooks and crannies it was game over for me. Will wait to see how this turns out. I could see a mangrove growing out of the vase with an ecosystem in the roots. Any plants in UK that are salt water tolerant, or a specific algae in mind

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Interesting vessel, would bubbles and water change be sufficient or is a filter needed. A cover to limit evaporation?
I did the jar once, when the coralline grew in all the nooks and crannies it was game over for me. Will wait to see how this turns out. I could see a mangrove growing out of the vase with an ecosystem in the roots. Any plants in UK that are salt water tolerant, or a specific algae in mind
Good question
There probably is but I’ve not come across them. Yep a mangrove would be a good idea and help nitrate. It funny I am using live oyster in some of my micro tubs and the water is very clear you can tell the difference between oyster tubs and none oyster. They are so good at filtering dirty water but on the other hand you have too feed them live plankton and really make sure they are feeding open and closing there shells because when they die it can pollute your tank. I will put up a video from y tube about how good they are

Also everyone morning
Have a good day

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Found a sponge filter in a cupboard so that’s in place for filtering and movement . Also thinking of using small bio value shells for the bottom
IMG_1026.jpeg
IMG_1029.jpeg

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
This is just to make everyone think and act
We as reefers have exactions with loads of plugs . We all should have a smoke alarm near our power socket area . Because when you’re sleeping half your house could be in flames
We all enjoy the hobby but we should all have a smoke alarm next to our reefs. A smoke alarm will save your life and your family’s
Battery smoke alarm’s are cheap to buy and easy to install
Fire Safety GIF by All Better

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would be tempted to tryout a reverse under gravel filter because it'll be a bear to deal with the substrate in there. Can run filtration on the water before pumping it under. May look too bulky and air stones are way easier to maintain then a pump.

urchin to deal with coralline buildup?

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Cooked up a feast for 10, and doggy bags for everyone.
Brisket, pulled pork, chili verde, chicken thigh/drumsticks, bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers, smoked kielbasa,pimento cheese, corn on cob, roasted asparagus,tomatoes mushrooms and red onion. Brisket was dissappointing as the flat was dry. However it still managed to makes its way into the fat part of my belly. That was Sunday.
20240609_072832.jpg 20240609_072835.jpg 20240609_124313.jpg

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Cooked up a feast for 10, and doggy bags for everyone.
Brisket, pulled pork, chili verde, chicken thigh/drumsticks, bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers, smoked kielbasa,pimento cheese, corn on cob, roasted asparagus,tomatoes mushrooms and red onion. Brisket was dissappointing as the flat was dry. However it still managed to makes its way into the fat part of my belly. That was Sunday.
20240609_072832.jpg 20240609_072835.jpg 20240609_124313.jpg
Oh that’s making me hungry look lovely yum yum

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
I would be tempted to tryout a reverse under gravel filter because it'll be a bear to deal with the substrate in there. Can run filtration on the water before pumping it under. May look too bulky and air stones are way easier to maintain then a pump.

urchin to deal with coralline buildup?
Yep there’s not room I’ve gone down the nontoxic expanding foam more for a test how this goes
foam satisfying GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 112 43.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 123 47.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back