Sand into stone

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty much ALL of my sand in tank has attached itself to the base of my corals, and comes up in GIANT chucks.

at this rate im not going to have any sand left in my system outside of whats in my fuge.

Im terrified to replace it, but dont know if im going to have much of a choice.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been there done that...didnt care for it myself.

i like too many wrasses....plus all the really cool critters

I'm going to be setting up an 96" x 24" x 12" really soon, with a monster sump, a BK skimmer, and my whole collection of Geo reactors...

at that time i will go with a BB in my SPS only 48" x 24" x 12"

they will be all tied together with a common sump (rubbermaid 150) and remote fuge 36" x 18" x 18".

but for now Ive gotta do something about the glacier size pieces of what was once sand...

I'm going to have to chisel my corals out of it before too long.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely this is from a lack of airation or amount of sand or lack of flow and or the lack of sand sifting CUC.

Your SB can convert ammonia and nitrate into harmless nitrogen but it needs proper care. If its not cared for then its a nitrate sponge.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well flows not the issue...its lack of sand sifting CUC...that i know...i didnt put nassarius snails in there because they knock too much over etc...

im more or less looking for a solution as to what to do about it now.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the clumping really that solid?
i know some of my pieces attached to some sand but the sand wasnt really solid onto the corals and just fell off
got a pic of these things? sounds interesting and ive never seen that happen
how old arer these pieces? if theyre not old id say just break up the sand

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jr. it is NBD to add sand.
Just remember it has to be added a LITTLE @ a time!!!
Add a couple of cups and mix w/ top layer of substrate.
Then in a few more days some more etc. Do slowly to minimize tank cycling.
If added all @ 1 time then the tank will have a heavy duty cycle.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is hard and all glued together then most likely it is Ca precipitation......When the CA gets to high and precipitates out of solution it will form crystals on the surface of the substrate and stuff sitting on the substrate. I had the same issue many years ago from over dosing Kalk. Every square inch of my substrate was one solid block of sand.....

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say to try to break u[p what you can and maybe replace a little at a time. I have a friend from the ETRC club (fishdoc) that removed his sandbed with a fully stocked SPS tank one day with no issues. I can't remember if he replaced the sand or not, though (I know he went BB when he moved to Knoxville). I'd say to add it back in relatively slowly, too. I'd most likely go faster than a few cups at a time/day, though (Once I finially convince myself to do that something big, I'm ready to put it past me;)). You don't want too much at once, though, for sure.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow might not be a problem but to rule out whats used for water movement?

Nass snails keep knocking things over? Hard to see as your LR should be on the bottom with the sand around it. If yuor tanks big enough a sand sifting goby would eleminate this. You could also stir up small areas right before you do water changes and useing a HOB filter to remove any floating debris.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mophead cukes for sand stirring (and have gobies in my two displays). They seem to keep it going. I had a major issue with compaction when I covered the sand (stuffing coral into a tank can be bad...). I threw in some sand sifting starts to loosen it all up and it seems to be in good shape now. They need to go, though. Lost both my leopard wrasse and solarensis wrasse within the first week of having the sand sifters (both fish had been in that tank for over 9 months and were healthy).

Good luck with it.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vortech full tilt on crest mode! in a 60 gallon grow out tank.

Flow might not be a problem but to rule out whats used for water movement?

Nass snails keep knocking things over? Hard to see as your LR should be on the bottom with the sand around it. If yuor tanks big enough a sand sifting goby would eleminate this. You could also stir up small areas right before you do water changes and useing a HOB filter to remove any floating debris.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a sand sifter in there for almost a year...hes not getting it done...i also have a tiger tail cuc that is atleast a foot long...he moves the sand around him...and has created a massive pile behind his big rock he calls home.

I like mophead cukes for sand stirring (and have gobies in my two displays). They seem to keep it going. I had a major issue with compaction when I covered the sand (stuffing coral into a tank can be bad...). I threw in some sand sifting starts to loosen it all up and it seems to be in good shape now. They need to go, though. Lost both my leopard wrasse and solarensis wrasse within the first week of having the sand sifters (both fish had been in that tank for over 9 months and were healthy).

Good luck with it.

demonsperm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its set for 3000 GPH?
You have it pointed at the surface.

Get a daimond goby and never worry about the SB. But rockscape needs to be secure.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with tank only being 12" high, its hits the bottom and the top.

Im thinking its a calcium overload.

I swear the guy upsairs in testing me...

went down last night and calcium reactors effluent line was almost completely clogged...barely dripping, and CO2 backed up into the reactor, and it was like milk inside the reactor.

So i tore that all down, and i get to redo all of that...so im OH so excited about that...:mad:

healthy size water change and 2 pounds of fresh carbon going in tonight too so its going to be a long night.

Oh yeah and my skimmer pump is virtually shot...so thats nice too...

i need to hit the lottery...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back