SBB- Spring Fling Blowout

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 8, Members: 0, Guests: 8)

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this. Rinse the new tank thoroughly. I used silicone tubing for my plumbing after reading others issues with elevated tin in the cheap Amazon vinyl, and a thread soaking vinyl in RODI and ICP came back with big tin.

I just Td off one of my returns, no manifold but same concept. Hassle free as long as your return has enough oomf and electric has enough residual amps to run the lights and pumps.

Be meticulous about potential contaminants I almost lost alot.
1000034557.jpg
No issues with noise or drainage?

This is what I was thinking of doing. Not sure why other than a space for more corals I guess.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hardly fish anymore. I enjoy it when I do but prefer deep sea fishing. Makes freshwater fishing kind of blah. Fl has so many random lakes to catch huge largemouth in...so that's fun.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the trips I looked at were around the airport lakes. Thought it was crazy they want $400+ to walk in fish for a few hours
That's insane. Next time grab a Walmart rod, some hooks and a bobber and I'll tell you where to go, or stay for the weekend and I'll take you offshore then we can yoink a pea out of my backyard canal. I have a jon boat with an old 79 johnson15hp too just haven't used it in forever

andrewj1212

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am considering adding a frag tank to the DT system, either as a grow out or as a QT. Obviously if a QT this would be a separate system but for a grow out I was considering plumbing it into the main system by manifold from the DT main pump and draining back into the DT sump. Tank would sit next to the DT and water travel would be about 6 feet.

For those who have done this, what are the pitfalls, hassles and negatives you have had to overcome?

Thought is to use a 20 long. Drilled for a Fiji Cube overflow and return line with in tank circulation for the frags. Lighting would be LED the same as the DT.
It works, but be prepared it’s still like setting up a new tank. Goes through its own ugly phases and what not so it’s not an instant established tank even tho it may be connected to one. But it does help speed it up

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with noise or drainage?

This is what I was thinking of doing. Not sure why other than a space for more corals I guess.
It was definitely a solid move. I tossed a tomini and 2 storm clowns in mine, stole my snails from DT. Had an ugly phase for 2-3 weeks.

I messed up with having the drain lines too deep in the sump, made tuning the bean animal a nightmare and then I went out of town. Turnover was a trickle. Easily fixed by having the drain lines only an inch submerged, but set me back a good couple weeks. Dead silent, especially compared to my display. Everything drains to same chamber then through 2 socks.

Can't really think of any other hiccups. If the space next to main system is tight just think ahead about placement of everything, but I'm sure you have.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other issue I've had is my tomini is a bum compared to my DT tangs. Those guys peck all day. My frag plugs got pretty nasty, snails seemed to have resolved most of the issue but with a packed frag rack they weren't getting everywhere. I was having to move frags back and forth from main tank to have my tangs polish them up.

Get locking frag racks.
1000034558.jpg

Zero_Cool

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything drains to same chamber then through 2 socks.
This will be a challenge (and one that I did not think about). I run an IceCap 36XL sump that has 2 bulkheads for the drain lines into the drain chamber. This drain chamber is only about 6x4x14. I would need to have the additional tank drain into the skimmer area of the sump.

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a challenge (and one that I did not think about). I run an IceCap 36XL sump that has 2 bulkheads for the drain lines into the drain chamber. This drain chamber is only about 6x4x14. I would need to have the additional tank drain into the skimmer area of the sump.
I don't see any issue with that, I almost thought about having mine in the return chamber to feed the DT some "waste". Obv have some detritus build up, esp if you go bare bottom like I did, nowhere else for it to go.

Back