Should I be worried

Jaydubb77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, So today I noticed this tiny white spec in the black silicone in the upper left hand corner of my Redsea S 700 G2+. It's right where the euro brace is. Should I freak out, or is it not a big deal?
20240515_205256.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of the beveled edges that show up so clearly in the picture. The speck is a speck in the silicone. The picture looks like someone wiped the area with a rag and it left the speck and a bit of dust in the corner where the silicone seam was placed. I don’t think it will ever cause a failure.

OP
OP
J

Jaydubb77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of the beveled edges that show up so clearly in the picture. The speck is a speck in the silicone. The picture looks like someone wiped the area with a rag and it left the speck and a bit of dust in the corner where the silicone seam was placed. I don’t think it will ever cause a failure.
That's what I thought, dust...I just started to sweat when I saw it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought, dust...I just started to sweat when I saw it
I worked in a glass factory and those bevels are sweet. Really nice precision grinders to make them.

People who notice defects in the silicon sometimes take a photo like this and compare it with a new photo every now and then to see if it’s static or expanding over time.

If the silicone starts to get air pockets or “bubbles” then it’s time to plan for a replacement, and maybe freak out but in this situation I don’t think it’s going to happen, ever.

OP
OP
J

Jaydubb77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in a glass factory and those bevels are sweet. Really nice precision grinders to make them.

People who notice defects in the silicon sometimes take a photo like this and compare it with a new photo every now and then to see if it’s static or expanding over time.

If the silicone starts to get air pockets or “bubbles” then it’s time to plan for a replacement, and maybe freak out but in this situation I don’t think it’s going to happen, ever.
I would just hate to fully stock this monster, then have to break it all down to get a replacement. My thought was better now before all that.
Thanks for the input/advice

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just hate to fully stock this monster, then have to break it all down to get a replacement. My thought was better now before all that.
Thanks for the input/advice
Yup, I think it’s wise to carefully examine the seams in a new tank before filling it, and the bigger the tank the more important to be careful And sure that it is ready to hold water. I would fill test it with fresh water and let it sit a few hours or days and reinspect it before getting committed.

Back