Stereonephthya Keepers Thread

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, with no response

Are you able to comment on any of their short videos. The most recent one mentions me. Comment thru their videos, comment what you need so that way everybody sees the comment but be nice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210404-164705.png
    Screenshot_20210404-164705.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 104

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is looking for one, Pieces of the Ocean have a couple of Koji Wada frags in their lightening sale for $49 each.

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you able to comment on any of their short videos. The most recent one mentions me. Comment thru their videos, comment what you need so that way everybody sees the comment but be nice.
They replied stating they haven't started production for US and will let me know when it comes available.
Thanks for your help.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one I would want to see in person before forking over $199. I spent yesterday selling bright purple cespitularia at a frag swap for $20 each

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's one I would want to see in person before forking over $199. I spent yesterday selling bright purple cespitularia at a frag swap for $20 each

Yea I thought it was pretty high. Really not too rare right now.
I see several places selling them right now.
Got a picture of yours?
I have some blue but looking for purple.
They have some purple at tidal gardens. Looks ok.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a picture right now- it originally came from WWC. The main difference from the one you pictured is my polyps are a contrasting orangish

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well my tank is finally cyceld and going to start adding life around the 1st of may so excited to get a few of these corals!!!

how about post some progression pics with time line and where in the tank you placed them be fun to see.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone here give me an idea of growth rates and suggested placement for stereonepthya?

I've had two pieces for about 6 months now. They look good, extend every day and then close up at night, but I haven't seen any noticeable growth. My other corals are all growing nicely. I heard stereos are slow growers, but am unclear on exactly how slow and am wondering if I can place them elsewhere and attain better growth.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little Nano setup, and I'm holding some stereo for a cousin and I have NPS Corals in there and I feed them heavily and get growth and little polyps here and there. Others give you more info but that's what I discovered

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone here give me an idea of growth rates and suggested placement for stereonepthya?

I've had two pieces for about 6 months now. They look good, extend every day and then close up at night, but I haven't seen any noticeable growth. My other corals are all growing nicely. I heard stereos are slow growers, but am unclear on exactly how slow and am wondering if I can place them elsewhere and attain better growth.

My experience has been they can start off slow with growth but once they get established the growth rate seems to increase over time. As an example mine have gone through a lot of changes with 3 moves within a few months and now that they are in a new system they are still upset not opening all the time and no signs of major growth since in over a month. I am expecting it to take a few months for them to settle in. As far as placement they do like lots of flow but will do okay moderate flow. With lighting I have had them do well under T5s and Radions 50% AB+ 12-15" from the water surface. As always if you make changes expect them to take some time to stabilize and ensure any changes made with placement are gradually changing their environment so they can adapt.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They can be VERY slow growers. Some more than others. I have a couple of quick growers but it seems the more colorful they are the slower they are. Some of my colonies grow about 1/4 an inch in a branch a year. How do I know that exact amount? Because they've been spawned in my tank. When the colonies get large that growth seems like a lot because it's over a larger colony and 1/4 an inch can put a lot of girth on a colony with 50 branches. But yeah, very slow for many.

Best way to tell slow grow vs "fast grow". (The fastest one I have grows about 2 inch a year)

Color: Usually (not always) the more colorful, the slower it grows.
Polyps: Huge polyps few in number with long tentacles tend to grow slower. These seem to do better if supplementally fed.
Small polyps in moderate numbers grow slower. Where as small polyps in thick clumps grow faster.
Med/large polyps in dense clumps usually grow much faster. This seems to be one of the biggest indicators. Dense polyp population means faster growth despite all other characteristics.

As for placement. Mine seem to grow more if they are placed close to the surface with good flow. My tank is only 15 inches or so, so it doesn't take much to be closer to the surface. However colonies placed on the highest rocks seem to outgrow those placed lower down. Keep in mind, many of these stereonephthya species grow close or above the tide line and are often exposed to direct sunlight when the tide is down. While I've never collected these corals in person, when I've imported colonies they have all the signs of a coral that grows very close to the surface, including macro algae growing alongside them as well as what looks like plant roots tangled in the rocks. A few have come in attached to a combination of rotted wood and rock (not coral).

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep- my Kojis do very well growing high up on the reef among acros, with no feeding.

How is your bright orange one doing? Mine are finally getting some size (still less than 2" though)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.4%
Back