Test Kits. RO water

Lwflyrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the this saltwater thing, maybe
have had 37gal red sea for almost 3 years now. Sand bottom Last year was a loss and starting over (long story short ) failed to do regular water changes:cry:
but the beginning of the end started with aptstaia takeover. It took over and helped kill my zoa that was as big as two fists (i loved that coral) that sucked. So

Learned my lesson.
3 clowns survived

So, 2nd time around now.
Waters good, have fox face, 3 clowns, 2 yellowtail damsels and some peppermint shrimp.
christmas tree coral, torch coral and not sure name of other coral but it kinda leathery and has little green polyp that bloom out in the light. (wife liked it so she got it.)
I have been doing store bought SW for water changes every month but thats getting pricey.

Question 1 - What test kits will I need to keep water in balance and to get water ready for changes. (I hate taking my water in to LFS because its 1/2 hour away)
Question 2 - average costs (trying to stay in budget for next couple of months.)
Question 3 minimum testing material needed to get started and keep moving dont have to be fancy yet.
Any help would be apprieciated.

JNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with that size tank all you need is a good salt mix. calcium and alkalintiy kits are helpful.

DialHammer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH and Nitrate test ensure water Quality

and to make sure the corals stay happy
I would pic up a Calcium, Alk, and mag

P.S. you do have something to test salinity with right

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Alk Ca and Mg, I only test for PH now because i have a PH meter, if all else is in line PH should be too unless you have high CO2 in the house.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API reef master test kit is a good basic starter kit. I prefer Salifert kits myself but you pay for them.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should probably look into buying an RODI unit and making your own saltwater. Much cheaper and convenient.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An RODI (Reverse Osmosis & Deionization) unit allows you to filter your own water at home, which you could then mix up your own saltwater.

Last edited:

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API reef master test kit is a good basic starter kit. I prefer Salifert kits myself but you pay for them.

Agree with getting a good master test kit. I started off with the Instant Ocean SW test kit. It had tests for pH, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. I am having trouble finding the refills for this kit, so they may not be making them anymore; I don't know about this. I agree with checking for alkalinity and calcium as mentioned above. I have yet to pick up a Mag kit, but am on the lookout for one. Also, make sure that your salinity is in line. A hydrometer is cheap, but a refractometer is much more reliable, albeit much more expensive.

I have just started buying the salifert kits myself and they seem to be good but as AZDesertRat said, a bit pricey.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to a RO/DI, that way you alone control your water quality and don't have to depend on anyone else.
Good reef quality systems with a pressure gauge, TDS meter and full size replacement filters will run you right at $150- $170 and is well worth it. Units that cost less intitially usually end up costing more in the long run and you give up things like TDS meter(which is a must), pressure gauge, standard full size replacements, water quality etc.

Back