The WB's Custom Acrylic Supersized AIO

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my tank upgrade. In Jan of 2019 I started my last build which was an Innovative Marine Lagoon 50 AIO. I’ve had that running for the last 5 years and it’s been a great tank, highly recommend IM tanks if you want a regular style AIO setup. But here’s the thing, I didn’t want that anymore. I wanted a bigger tank but I have some limitations. The tank is in my office on the second floor of my house. This created a concern about concentrating too much weight when there was no way to reinforce the floor. The other limitation is that the tank has to be an AIO. My wife and I agreed that we didn’t want to risk any plumbing leaks on the second floor of the house that could cause widespread damage.

So with those two things in mind I had choices to make. I could have gone with an IM SR80 and called it a day. It’s significantly larger than the Lagoon 50 without being too big, this is in a 4th bedroom/office area and length of tank was a concern. There are other things that need to fit in the room. Two problems there though, one is that the SR80 is pretty heavy because it’s thick glass. The other is that I was going to be restricted on gear because the AIO section just isn’t very wide. It’s an 80 gallon tank that can’t fit a full sized protein skimmer or fleece roller. I wanted those things so a conventional AIO was out.

Almost 2 years ago now myself and a couple of other R2R members started designing an AIO tank that addressed some of the things I wanted in a new tank. We were working with a tank manufacturer to eventually build our design and things were going well. This tank was 48” long x 30” deep x 16” high. The AIO chambers would run coast to coast and be 8” wide.
The first chamber would have a 7” filter sock opening that could also accommodate a Klir-7 drop in fleece roller. The second chamber would be about 8x12 inches so it could fit a full sized protein skimmer and also had an adjustable height baffle. The 3rd chamber could either be a refugium or an area for reactors or whatever else you could think of. The 4th chamber is for the return pump and is sized to fit a wide variety of pump choices. It was basically a full blown sump built into an AIO concept. The design was also flexible to be built larger or smaller as needed, from 36” long up to 72” long.
An early version of the tank was created and sent to one of the other guys for testing and critique. As we were starting to hash out the tweaks to the design some unforeseen circumstances arose and the project was put on indefinite hold. I was bummed but it was nobody’s fault and there was nothing to be done about it but to wait and see if we’d get back going again.

Several months went by and nothing was happening with our group. I was getting very restless as I’d been hoping to have a new tank in place by late summer of 2023. When it became obvious that wasn’t going to happen I decided to start looking for a different builder to create what I wanted. After a few inquiries I settled on working with Advanced Acrylics. He listened to my ideas, went over the drawings I sent and ultimately agreed to build me what I wanted for what I thought was a reasonable price. I ordered the tank on 7/18/23 with a 6 week turn around time for delivery. So far I was impressed and happy to have found someone who could make my ideas become reality.

Unfortunately, now I’m going to talk about the frustrating part of working with this builder. After the first week or two the communication was terrible. I didn’t get any updates that were promised. My questions frequently went unanswered, sometimes for as much as two weeks. The voicemail box was always full. I did a little more research and discovered there were more than a few people out there that were pretty unhappy with this vendor about lack of communication and issues with getting problems fixed. We had blown by the six week timeframe I was promised and I could not get this guy to answer a call or text. He had my deposit and appeared to be ghosting me. I was pretty worried about ever getting my tank built. I had to resort to repeatedly calling his phone over and over and over in quick succession, basically become a giant pest to get any reaction. I had to threaten to cancel my order and get the credit card company to reverse the charges if he didn’t start responding. Finally after all of that he finished my tank, and then he sat on it for like two more weeks before finally shipping it out. It arrived on 11/14/23, nearly 4 months after it was ordered. My patience had been strained to the limit but it was finally delivered. I was a little worried when I first saw the pallet because it was just the tank on a pallet sitting on some cardboard and kind of skinned in cardboard with no real padding to protect the acrylic from scratches. The packaging company that prepared the tank for shipping leaves much to be desired.
72066198344__C528B9EC-4A44-4F95-B94A-C00135DCD6DA.jpeg

IMG_4354.jpeg

IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

IMG_4372.jpeg

Luckily this story has a happy ending because the tank arrived in perfect condition, despite what it looked like on the pallet, and it was everything I wanted. John at Advanced Acrylics did a tremendous job of executing my vision and giving me exactly what I asked for. As angry and frustrated as I was with his complete lack of professionalism once he had my deposit and the inexcusable wait time for the tank to be completed and delivered I couldn’t have been happier with the final result. I absolutely love it. I’ll get deeper into the design of the system in subsequent posts but for now that’s the story of how this upgrade to a larger custom supersized AIO happened.

I should also mention my thanks and respect to Alufab from Ohio who made my Aluminum Profile Stand with Light Rack. Unlike Advanced Actylics their communication was top notch and when a problem came up after I had received the stand, including one thing that happened quite a long time after I received it they stepped up every time and made things right. I cannot say enough about their customer service. I would highly recommend Alufab for this type of stand. If you’ve ever seen videos from Tidal Gardens where it shows the inside of their facility they have many Alufab stands in there. The thing is a beast, it costs a lot more than an IM stand but it’s so much nicer. I got mine with heavy duty casters so it’s real easy to roll around right now while the tank is empty.
IMG_4429.jpeg

IMG_4436.jpeg

So the tank arrived in November and was leak tested in the garage for way too long, and it only made it into the room last month and is finally only now (today is 5/11/24) ready to be filled. Ran into some delays that couldn’t be avoided plus I’m just kinda slow with finishing things like the controller board I made out of pvc foam board. Also had to wait for some of the new equipment I’m using to be delivered. All of that is over now though and it’s time to get this thing up and running.

Link to previous build thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thewb’s-im-lagoon-50.543187/

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reserved for current FTS.

4/22/2024. Progress has been slower than intended.
IMG_4563.jpeg

5/10 Tank is in place and I decided to use this IKEA cubby shelving unit for additional storage in the corner.
IMG_4577.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment List

Tank: Advanced Acrylics custom 48" x 30" x 17" AIO.
3/4" on all sides and top bracing, 1/2" bottom panel.
Sump section is 48" long x 8" wide allowing for use of full sized equipment. 4 sections.

Stand: Alufab black aluminum profile stand with front and side magnet mount panels and a light mount.

Filtration: Klir-Di-7 Drop in Fleece Filter System V1

Skimmer: Simplicity 120DC

Lighting: Neptune Sky LED x2

Return Pump: Sicce SDC 3.0
The Reef Octopus VarioS-2 on the Lagoon 50 will become the back up.

Heating: BRS Titanium 300w heating element controlled by the Apex. May add the BRS Heater Controller for redundancy, I have one on hand being used elsewhere that could be drafted into service. Also have a BRS Titanium 200w heating element in use on my current tank that will become the back up.

Wavemakers:
Main - Maxspect Jump 4K Gyre
Secondary - Maxspect Jump 2K Gyre
Extras: AI Nero 3 x2 to be used if needed.

UV Sterilizer: Going with a 24w Green Killing Machine based on a friend who is using one on a similar sized tank, this may need to be upgraded.

ATO: Tunze 3155

ATO Container: Innovative Marine Aqua Gadget 5 Gallon Reservoir

Controller: Neptune Apex 2016 with 2 EB832 Energy Bars

Controller Board: DIY PVC Foamboard attached to the stand with leftover gussets from the stand build and some hardware from Home Depot.

Still tbd: Fuge light? Supplemental lighting, possibly a Quanta Bar for some blue pop in the evening? Battery back up (or possibly a whole home generator)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18 gallons in so far today.
IMG_4614.jpeg

The plan is to continue to fill it until there is enough water for me to get a wave maker going without blowing the sand all over the place. Then I will add the wave maker and heater, get the water up to temp, and then add salt mix. After mixing then I'll add in the Ocean Direct sand and maybe some pieces of the scape. We'll see how it goes. I'm filling deliberately so I'll know exactly how much water is in the system without having to guess about displacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 gallons are in.
Mixed in 10 packets of AccuraSea1 which has been my go to since the beginning of the last tank. Comes in a 10 pack of pouches that mix perfectly to my preferred parameters in 4.5 gallons of RODI. It’s perfect for small weekly water changes.
IMG_4615.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

In the morning I will add a 20# bag of CaribSea Ocean Direct Sand.
IMG_4617.jpeg

and I'll also putting in the scape which has been cooking in the garage inside a blacked out bin since December.
IMG_4405.jpeg

Hopefully I can remember how to put it all back together. It’s been much longer than I had intended to get this in the tank.
After the scape goes in I will continue filling the tank until the display is full and the sump hits the right levels.

Last edited:

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 gallons are in.
Mixed in 10 packets of AccuraSea1 which has been my go to since the beginning of the last tank. Comes in a 10 pack of pouches that mix perfectly to my preferred parameters in 4.5 gallons of RODI. It’s perfect for small weekly water changes.
IMG_4615.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

In the morning I will add a 20# bag of CaribSea Ocean Direct Sand.
IMG_4617.jpeg

and I'll also putting in the scape which has been cooking in the garage inside a blacked out bin since December.
IMG_4405.jpeg

Hopefully I can remember how to put it all back together. It’s been much longer than I had intended to get this in the tank.
After the scape goes in I will continue filling the tank until the display is full and the sump hits the right levels.
I'm looking forward to see that scape in your tank. I really like the way it came out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking forward to see that scape in your tank. I really like the way it came out.
Me too. Honestly I’ve had a lot of second thoughts about it. That's what happens when you sit on things for so long. I’m really hoping after all this time that once I’ve got it in there and I’m looking at it in the tank instead of on a workbench that I’m still going to like what I see. The perspective will be different. I’m never happy with these things so I’m prepared to be underwhelmed.

reefsUP2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my tank upgrade. In Jan of 2019 I started my last build which was an Innovative Marine Lagoon 50 AIO. I’ve had that running for the last 5 years and it’s been a great tank, highly recommend IM tanks if you want a regular style AIO setup. But here’s the thing, I didn’t want that anymore. I wanted a bigger tank but I have some limitations. The tank is in my office on the second floor of my house. This created a concern about concentrating too much weight when there was no way to reinforce the floor. The other limitation is that the tank has to be an AIO. My wife and I agreed that we didn’t want to risk any plumbing leaks on the second floor of the house that could cause widespread damage.

So with those two things in mind I had choices to make. I could have gone with an IM SR80 and called it a day. It’s significantly larger than the Lagoon 50 without being too big, this is in a 4th bedroom/office area and length of tank was a concern. There are other things that need to fit in the room. Two problems there though, one is that the SR80 is pretty heavy because it’s thick glass. The other is that I was going to be restricted on gear because the AIO section just isn’t very wide. It’s an 80 gallon tank that can’t fit a full sized protein skimmer or fleece roller. I wanted those things so a conventional AIO was out.

Almost 2 years ago now myself and a couple of other R2R members started designing an AIO tank that addressed some of the things I wanted in a new tank. We were working with a tank manufacturer to eventually build our design and things were going well. This tank was 48” long x 30” deep x 16” high. The AIO chambers would run coast to coast and be 8” wide.
The first chamber would have a 7” filter sock opening that could also accommodate a Klir-7 drop in fleece roller. The second chamber would be about 8x12 inches so it could fit a full sized protein skimmer and also had an adjustable height baffle. The 3rd chamber could either be a refugium or an area for reactors or whatever else you could think of. The 4th chamber is for the return pump and is sized to fit a wide variety of pump choices. It was basically a full blown sump built into an AIO concept. The design was also flexible to be built larger or smaller as needed, from 36” long up to 72” long.
An early version of the tank was created and sent to one of the other guys for testing and critique. As we were starting to hash out the tweaks to the design some unforeseen circumstances arose and the project was put on indefinite hold. I was bummed but it was nobody’s fault and there was nothing to be done about it but to wait and see if we’d get back going again.

Several months went by and nothing was happening with our group. I was getting very restless as I’d been hoping to have a new tank in place by late summer of 2023. When it became obvious that wasn’t going to happen I decided to start looking for a different builder to create what I wanted. After a few inquiries I settled on working with Advanced Acrylics. He listened to my ideas, went over the drawings I sent and ultimately agreed to build me what I wanted for what I thought was a reasonable price. I ordered the tank on 7/18/23 with a 6 week turn around time for delivery. So far I was impressed and happy to have found someone who could make my ideas become reality.

Unfortunately, now I’m going to talk about the frustrating part of working with this builder. After the first week or two the communication was terrible. I didn’t get any updates that were promised. My questions frequently went unanswered, sometimes for as much as two weeks. The voicemail box was always full. I did a little more research and discovered there were more than a few people out there that were pretty unhappy with this vendor about lack of communication and issues with getting problems fixed. We had blown by the six week timeframe I was promised and I could not get this guy to answer a call or text. He had my deposit and appeared to be ghosting me. I was pretty worried about ever getting my tank built. I had to resort to repeatedly calling his phone over and over and over in quick succession, basically become a giant pest to get any reaction. I had to threaten to cancel my order and get the credit card company to reverse the charges if he didn’t start responding. Finally after all of that he finished my tank, and then he sat on it for like two more weeks before finally shipping it out. It arrived on 11/14/23, nearly 4 months after it was ordered. My patience had been strained to the limit but it was finally delivered. I was a little worried when I first saw the pallet because it was just the tank on a pallet sitting on some cardboard and kind of skinned in cardboard with no real padding to protect the acrylic from scratches. The packaging company that prepared the tank for shipping leaves much to be desired.
72066198344__C528B9EC-4A44-4F95-B94A-C00135DCD6DA.jpeg

IMG_4354.jpeg

IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

IMG_4372.jpeg

Luckily this story has a happy ending because the tank arrived in perfect condition, despite what it looked like on the pallet, and it was everything I wanted. John at Advanced Acrylics did a tremendous job of executing my vision and giving me exactly what I asked for. As angry and frustrated as I was with his complete lack of professionalism once he had my deposit and the inexcusable wait time for the tank to be completed and delivered I couldn’t have been happier with the final result. I absolutely love it. I’ll get deeper into the design of the system in subsequent posts but for now that’s the story of how this upgrade to a larger custom supersized AIO happened.

I should also mention my thanks and respect to Alufab from Ohio who made my Aluminum Profile Stand with Light Rack. Unlike Advanced Actylics their communication was top notch and when a problem came up after I had received the stand, including one thing that happened quite a long time after I received it they stepped up every time and made things right. I cannot say enough about their customer service. I would highly recommend Alufab for this type of stand. If you’ve ever seen videos from Tidal Gardens where it shows the inside of their facility they have many Alufab stands in there. The thing is a beast, it costs a lot more than an IM stand but it’s so much nicer. I got mine with heavy duty casters so it’s real easy to roll around right now while the tank is empty.
IMG_4429.jpeg

IMG_4436.jpeg

So the tank arrived in November and was leak tested in the garage for way too long, and it only made it into the room last month and is finally only now (today is 5/11/24) ready to be filled. Ran into some delays that couldn’t be avoided plus I’m just kinda slow with finishing things like the controller board I made out of pvc foam board. Also had to wait for some of the new equipment I’m using to be delivered. All of that is over now though and it’s time to get this thing up and running.

Link to previous build thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/thewb’s-im-lagoon-50.543187/
I’ve gone with advanced acrylics for the past 15+ years never had a issue.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very similar to my upcoming grow-out and main in that I want an AIO with oversized sumps to avoid under tank sump. Same idea with the aluminum stand and attachments to hang panel style fan-less lights. Awesome build.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very similar to my upcoming grow-out and main in that I want an AIO with oversized sumps to avoid under tank sump. Same idea with the aluminum stand and attachments to hang panel style fan-less lights. Awesome build.
Thank you so much. I think that this style of tank might just start to become more popular. Why not have the benefits of an AIO and a big sump with full sized equipment? I’ll be excited to see what you have designed for yourself.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean Direct sand and the scape are in. The scape is just sitting in there, it's not arranged properly yet because I can't see, water is too cloudy. 67.5 gallon total in so far and that is enough to turn on the return pump. I just have a filter pad in the overflow and the draining noise is very loud. Sounds like a loud trickle actually. I'll have to wait and see what it sounds like with the Klir-7 installed. if it's still noisy I'll have to figure out something to quiet it down. This could probably have been avoided if I'd had the sock plate installed about 2" lower but that's 20/20 hindsight. I didn't know what I didn't know at the time this was designed. Putting the adjustable baffle in the next chamber all the way to it's highest setting helps with the noise but now I'll probably have to put the skimmer on a riser to get it at the correct operating water level. That was supposed to have been taken care of with the adjustable baffle. This is what happens when there is no prototype, lol.

First impression of the Sicce ContrAll app is that it's the worst app I've ever used with my tanks. Admittedly I have not played with it much or looked up and step by step instructions or videos yet but it's just not intuitive at all. It seems like there is supposed to be a button somewhere for accepting the changes you make to the programing but heck if I can find it. I told the app I was in the USA but still the temp setting is in Celsius with no way to change it that I can find. Maybe I'm the problem but this seems stupid. Got some learning to do I guess.

I'll post pics with the scape inside later tonight if the water clears up.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. I think that this style of tank might just start to become more popular. Why not have the benefits of an AIO and a big sump with full sized equipment? I’ll be excited to see what you have designed for yourself.
Agreed 100%. Having 3-1/2” is small mind thinking.

My design currently has a double peninsula where sumps on each end perform the function of drawing water and returning. One end dumps the tank, runs contents through a series of reactors/canisters then pumps that water back below the other sump to roll chaeto or other macroalgae before returning back to the display. One side literally acts as a major media bed to perform nitrification and possibly some denitrification and the other scrubs the remaining nutrients along with co2 and returns clean oxygenated water. Also reduces the use of wave makers since I’m moving the entire tank contents allowing every coral and dead spot to get flushed and renewed with freshened water. Wave makers then only needed if extra flow required or to agitate certain areas where detritus accumulates.

Final piece that deviates from most today is emptying what equates to an undergravel plate and water is drawn from under the tank and filtered by its own group of canisters which allows me to periodically blow the substrate with a powerhead and get that muck drawn out and processed. Best I’ve come up with for dealing with an oversize tank where getting in and cleaning not pragmatic although mostly because I’m lazy by design and always seek efficiency so I have more time.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed 100%. Having 3-1/2” is small mind thinking.

My design currently has a double peninsula where sumps on each end perform the function of drawing water and returning. One end dumps the tank, runs contents through a series of reactors/canisters then pumps that water back below the other sump to roll chaeto or other macroalgae before returning back to the display. One side literally acts as a major media bed to perform nitrification and possibly some denitrification and the other scrubs the remaining nutrients along with co2 and returns clean oxygenated water. Also reduces the use of wave makers since I’m moving the entire tank contents allowing every coral and dead spot to get flushed and renewed with freshened water. Wave makers then only needed if extra flow required or to agitate certain areas where detritus accumulates.

Final piece that deviates from most today is emptying what equates to an undergravel plate and water is drawn from under the tank and filtered by its own group of canisters which allows me to periodically blow the substrate with a powerhead and get that muck drawn out and processed. Best I’ve come up with for dealing with an oversize tank where getting in and cleaning not pragmatic although mostly because I’m lazy by design and always seek efficiency so I have more time.
YES, The double peninsula sounds awesome. I have had that same idea myself on a smaller scale although yours seems more complex than what I had envisioned. I've always wanted to get a 33 long (which is basically a 20 long but 48" long instead of 30", you don't see them too often) and then use an AIO insert on each end so the return pumps would act as the only sources of flow if possible, keep the wave makers out. I think it could be done if you used a powerful enough set of return pumps which would be easy since a 33 long isn't very big. Use the AIO chambers to hide the heater on one end and maybe a skimmer on the other. Or just go natural with a mix of macro and corals and try to keep the excess equipment out of the tank. I probably would have already done this but I don't have anywhere to put it.

What are the dims of your tank going to be? How much room will each "sump" take up? What's your timeline? I'm excited to see it.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES, The double peninsula sounds awesome. I have had that same idea myself on a smaller scale although yours seems more complex than what I had envisioned. I've always wanted to get a 33 long (which is basically a 20 long but 48" long instead of 30", you don't see them too often) and then use an AIO insert on each end so the return pumps would act as the only sources of flow if possible, keep the wave makers out. I think it could be done if you used a powerful enough set of return pumps which would be easy since a 33 long isn't very big. Use the AIO chambers to hide the heater on one end and maybe a skimmer on the other. Or just go natural with a mix of macro and corals and try to keep the excess equipment out of the tank. I probably would have already done this but I don't have anywhere to put it.

What are the dims of your tank going to be? How much room will each "sump" take up? What's your timeline? I'm excited to see it.
Main will be 8’x4’plus end caps to be determined.

Flow is easy to figure out as there’s enough width to accommodate several pumps and easily replicate the turnover required. Plus I’m thinking you don’t need 20x which comes about because with less it’s impossible to move water from one end to the other yet if the flow is being controlled by dumping one end then that would be more natural and better replication of what happens on a reef. Here in south Florida our reefs tend to see somewhere between one and three miles per hour. I can easily provide pumps that mimic each extreme.

The idea first evolved with taking a 75g and building sumps internally on each end as you described. Easy enough to glue two pieces of acrylic or PVC and the toughest part being how to make the required slots.

The grow out will just be half the size in all dimensions including height and 100% acrylic to reduce weight as that will be upstairs. Main will be built on top of a mud floor section to obtain the most level surface.

I’m going to reach out to Planet as I get closer to order and see if they can do PVC on side sumps, back in addition to bottom and either a thick front glass panel that can survive grandchildren and their toys or better yet thick acrylic plus bracing above. Gotta believe acrylic bonds better to PVC and have seen one sump manufacturer that does exactly that. Key is no leaks ever and a tank I can one day transfer to one lucky grandchild and they can later do the same although that might be stretching it yet Oceanic tanks from the 90s are still around and couple of guys from that company at Planet.

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back