The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever wonder what I’m doing when I’m bored or have free time…
IMG_9496.jpeg

I literally write down as much as I know about wrasses. Originally it was scientific names (yes, that’s how I can rattle them out in somewhat short amounts of time), then it went into the care and today, it was a condensed down version of their tree. Starting with the order through the families down to the species.
I gave up with guessing what species/genera are closely related. So I went with the genera we commonly keep and some lesser known species within those genera.

Some of my previous tries;
image.jpg

image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a bristletooth tang and then maybe a dragonet but they can wait if it’s possible with all these leopards. I’m very open to suggestions for tank mates as well.
I would honestly go without tangs and instead a rabbitfish. If your tank was 5’ or more then I’d say consider some of those truly stunning tangs that are potentially worth the aggression risk (I.e. Achilles).

Wrasses, you could fill that with 10-15 depending on species and max size.

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly go without tangs and instead a rabbitfish. If your tank was 5’ or more then I’d say consider some of those truly stunning tangs that are potentially worth the aggression risk (I.e. Achilles).

Wrasses, you could fill that with 10-15 depending on species and max size.
Then we go with a rabbit what type is the best / most peaceful?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever wonder what I’m doing when I’m bored or have free time…
IMG_9496.jpeg

I literally write down as much as I know about wrasses. Originally it was scientific names (yes, that’s how I can rattle them out in somewhat short amounts of time), then it went into the care and today, it was a condensed down version of their tree. Starting with the order through the families down to the species.
I gave up with guessing what species/genera are closely related. So I went with the genera we commonly keep and some lesser known species within those genera.

Some of my previous tries;
image.jpg

image.jpg
You need to make a taxonomic(phylogenetic??) tree. See if you can make more sense of it then me

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ordinary rabbits are all very peaceful. Just watch for the rabbits that are not ordinary.
1710878883017.gif

1710878848390.gif

JK get whichever foxface you like most

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’ve found them all to be as peaceful. If you want the yellow and size of a yellow tang then the common - Siganus unimaculatus is best. But my personal favourite will always be my Siganus magnificus. If mine ever dies it’ll be the only non-wrasse fish I will 100% get another of no matter the price.

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’ve found them all to be as peaceful. If you want the yellow and size of a yellow tang then the common - Siganus unimaculatus is best. But my personal favourite will always be my Siganus magnificus. If mine ever dies it’ll be the only non-wrasse fish I will 100% get another of no matter the price.
That one looks gorgeous

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to make a taxonomic(phylogenetic??) tree. See if you can make more sense of it then me
This is something I would love to do but I bet it would get insanely confusing trying to see who is connected to who.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, a foxface can help you with bubble algae. I think you can manage a tang, though, especially a bristletooth, which would be a helpful worker. White tail bristletooth, Kole, Tomini. Just beware the deadly combination of Tomini tang + possum wrasse (@jkcoral ). You don't want your tang living in constant fear.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This photo was meant to show progress on the trachy, but M. bipartitis is doing her showy-swim-in-front-of-me thing, so I had to post it here. She's so adorable, if only they lived as long as clowns!
PXL_20240319_212034479_exported_stabilized_1710883636601.gif

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a tiny juvenile meleagris leopard on the weekend.
Not ideal to have 2 of the same species, but this one was really struggling in the store with the medicated water.

However, adding this juvenile has gone well, my current female meleagris responded really nicely, and they're swimming together and even sleep next to each other.
I've noticed a sudden change in the female meleagris's colouration. She's developed a silvery patch on her nose/face area, and is showing a lot of blue underneath the spots. The black markings are also shifting a bit.
I'm really hopeful that this means she'll fully transition, because it'd be really cool to get to watch a leopard wrasse transition in my tank.

adult meleagris leopard wrasse.jpg
juvenile meleagris leopard wrasse 2.jpg
juvenile meleagris.jpg juvenile meleagris leopard wrasse.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This photo was meant to show progress on the trachy, but M. bipartitis is doing her showy-swim-in-front-of-me thing, so I had to post it here. She's so adorable, if only they lived as long as clowns!
PXL_20240319_212034479_exported_stabilized_1710883636601.gif
She’s gorgeous, growing nicely too!

I think leopards will be a somewhat bigger feature in my collection in the future. They’re so personable.

Now, this comes to what I do with my 5’ tank. The time is approaching quickly. I’ll definitely be going wrasse dominant again.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a tiny juvenile meleagris leopard on the weekend.
Not ideal to have 2 of the same species, but this one was really struggling in the store with the medicated water.

However, adding this juvenile has gone well, my current female meleagris responded really nicely, and they're swimming together and even sleep next to each other.
I've noticed a sudden change in the female meleagris's colouration. She's developed a silvery patch on her nose/face area, and is showing a lot of blue underneath the spots. The black markings are also shifting a bit.
I'm really hopeful that this means she'll fully transition, because it'd be really cool to get to watch a leopard wrasse transition in my tank.

adult meleagris leopard wrasse.jpg
juvenile meleagris leopard wrasse 2.jpg
juvenile meleagris.jpg juvenile meleagris leopard wrasse.jpg
Perfect. One of my favorite wrasses. I actually think it is ideal to have multiple single species Leopard wrasse in one tank. In my first picture below, you can see the earliest transformation from female to male, which is the shift of color and aligning of the spots from random to linear in arrangement.
Leopard2020040501B.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2016070501.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2016090501.jpg
MeleagrisLeopard2020040504S.jpg

My thread of color transformation of Meleagris Leopard:

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. One of my favorite wrasses. I actually think it is ideal to have multiple single species Leopard wrasse in one tank. In my first picture below, you can see the earliest transformation from female to male, which is the shift of color and aligning of the spots from random to linear in arrangement.
Leopard2020040501B.jpg

So beautiful.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s gorgeous, growing nicely too!

I think leopards will be a somewhat bigger feature in my collection in the future. They’re so personable.

I knew you and I had more in common then I thought.:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard2020040501B.jpg

My melagris started to change when I had more wrasses in the tank(3 other leopards). After I lost a couple, it seems to have stopped(only have the M. Moyeri left in the leopard family).

She has the elongated spots, and the blue in her fins, but it's been a year, and she just seems to have stopped. I'm thinking with only an alpha H. Chrysus, female M. Moyeri, and tiny juvenile Exquisite she has no competition, so she stopped changing. Kinda of stuck half way through changing.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melagris started to change when I had more wrasses in the tank(3 other leopards). After I lost a couple, it seems to have stopped(only have the M. Moyeri left in the leopard family).

She has the elongated spots, and the blue in her fins, but it's been a year, and she just seems to have stopped. I'm thinking with only an alpha H. Chrysus, female M. Moyeri, and tiny juvenile Exquisite she has no competition, so she stopped changing. Kinda of stuck half way through changing.
It you have a reasonable tank, you should have 3 , or at the very least 2 Meleagris Leopards in it. You will love it.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back