The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s out and looking gorgeous! The purples on her tail are stunning.
IMG_0257.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any one have a Paracheilinus amanda?
I know it's a "new" species identified in 2023 I believe, curious if any one here as gotten one.
I’ve seen it in person, but I’ve yet to actually own one.

It’s one of the ones I’d love to own but my rubricaudalis and carpenter’s wouldn’t like it unless I got another similar one.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s still up! And looks gorgeous when swimming with the other wrasses.
IMG_0262.jpeg
what a beauty. I had the opportunity to order one on my last fish order but I opted for more of the hardy wrasses to get my tanks stocked then I'll try for the more delicate one like this.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a beauty. I had the opportunity to order one on my last fish order but I opted for more of the hardy wrasses to get my tanks stocked then I'll try for the more delicate one like this.
Definitely! It’s always best to go for the hardier wrasses first as you can get a sense of their behaviours and issues then when it comes to the more sensitive species, you can have a much better idea on how to care for them.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whaaaaat it’s hard to find?! Ohhhh great

Pink streak collection is pretty seasonal, and they seem harder to get in summer months. Find a local store that orders from Quality Marine (a lot of places order from QM) and ask them to look at the order sheets. They won’t usually show up as “pink streaked” and are usually called “pelvic spot wrasse” or “cryptic sixline” from what I’ve been told. That should increase your chances of finding them a little easier!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever see Cirrhilabrus claire?
I’m pretty sure there was a guy on here who actually owned one.

They look like a very expensive pylei IMO.

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streak collection is pretty seasonal, and they seem harder to get in summer months. Find a local store that orders from Quality Marine (a lot of places order from QM) and ask them to look at the order sheets. They won’t usually show up as “pink streaked” and are usually called “pelvic spot wrasse” or “cryptic sixline” from what I’ve been told. That should increase your chances of finding them a little easier!
Thank you! Helps a bunch! Should I verify the scientific name to be sure?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse tank in all its glory.
IMG_0263.jpeg

What wrasse do you think I’ll be hunting next - Obviously I’m hunting down a Choat’s for my nano still and a Kaleidos Pencil for this tank, but I’ve also put another wrasse on the list for this tank.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse tank in all its glory.
IMG_0263.jpeg

What wrasse do you think I’ll be hunting next - Obviously I’m hunting down a Choat’s for my nano still and a Kaleidos Pencil for this tank, but I’ve also put another wrasse on the list for this tank.
How's that flameback angel working for you re: coral nipping and playing nice?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's that flameback angel working for you re: coral nipping and playing nice?
She’s a bit boisterous but mostly around feeding and corals overall seem good and I’ve yet to see nip marks on anything. She does hunt around the coral but never actively on them - the Majestic seems to love taking a nip at the Yumas every so often though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Twisti on My List...... Most like will have to wait until after I upgrade tank.....
Anampses are hard to beat for colours. The twistii may be one of the duller Anampses in photos but in person if I’m honest, it’s one of the nicest. They just have so many colours that get missed on photos, I mean I’ve not seen many that capture the purple/red in the caudal fin.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g tank.. Can I keep a melanurus and a Rhomboid Wrasse together? Do I need to get them as females or can I get both as males? Planning to introduce them at the same time.

Thanks!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180g tank.. Can I keep a melanurus and a Rhomboid Wrasse together? Do I need to get them as females or can I get both as males? Planning to introduce them at the same time.

Thanks!
Should be fine together. I'd start with females, just so you can enjoy them longer and watch them transition to males in your tank. Females also seem to adapt better than large males or supermales.

I'd definitely look at a few other wrasses as well. SO many options that would work well with those 2 species in a 180 gallon.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine together. I'd start with females, just so you can enjoy them longer and watch them transition to males in your tank. Females also seem to adapt better than large males or supermales.

I'd definitely look at a few other wrasses as well. SO many options that would work well with those 2 species in a 180 gallon.

Can I get others similar to the melanurus like a chrismas wrasse? Do I need to introduce all at once or can I start with these two and then get another?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back