To reefmat or not to reefmat

snakemau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm getting a Mariner x 110.4 next month. I have everything ready for it but debating if I should use the socks or remove them and install a reefmat 500. I have a bubble magus curve elite 5 skimmer ready. I just don't want to have to change it later and deal with that mess, so if the best approach is to use the reefmat then I will remove the baffles as soon as I get it.... but if the reefmat is not worth it then I will just let it be....suggestions??

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan of rollers in general. Changing socks near daily seems archaic.
not familiar with the reefmat, I run a small bubble magus roller that is modded to accept 2 main drains and it still keeps up. Been running the same roll for 4 months and its only halfway, so all the posts about bad BM rolls aren’t applicable to my experience.
the reefmat looks like a beast! Isn’t that the one that will send you notifications as well? I like that kind of redundancy. Go for it if you got the finances! Personally, I will be DIYing my next roller mat because its only plastic, the roll, some float switches, and a 12v motor. I’m pretty sure I can make something more efficient that will have a more open design, for a fraction of the investment.

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a fan of rollers in general. Changing socks near daily seems archaic.
not familiar with the reefmat, I run a small bubble magus roller that is modded to accept 2 main drains and it still keeps up. Been running the same roll for 4 months and its only halfway, so all the posts about bad BM rolls aren’t applicable to my experience.
the reefmat looks like a beast! Isn’t that the one that will send you notifications as well? I like that kind of redundancy. Go for it if you got the finances! Personally, I will be DIYing my next roller mat because its only plastic, the roll, some float switches, and a 12v motor. I’m pretty sure I can make something more efficient that will have a more open design, for a fraction of the investment.
did you ever dyi your own?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back