What kind of algae is this?

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see some Caroline around it but the darker red stuff, I can't scrub it off, what is it?

Attachments

• 1373504100565.jpg
    1373504100565.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 265

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is tank? Looks like coralline algae to me. When u touch it does it come off?

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was set up in February, so 5 months. All the other Caroline is a light purple though. And no it doesn't come off

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coralline, I have about six different colors and that is one of them. You'll get a bunch of colors too

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay, thanks I was worried I was having cyano

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano will grow during the day and shrink down at night, and when you brush it with a toothbrush or blow it with a turkey baster it will slough off very easily.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something that looks like this growing in my tank, and am pretty sure its not Caroline Algae. Its thick, kinda has a fuzzy and has velvet texture to it. Its not growing every where in my tank, only on the top layer of my live rock and for the most part, only on the live rock surfaces that are right under my LED lights. Anyone have a clue as to what it might be, and how to get rid of it.

OP
OP
sredzins

sredzins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds a lot like cyano. Lower your phosphates and increase flow. Since it is still a bacteria it isn't easy to just kill and let die off. I would scrub it off

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something that looks like this growing in my tank, and am pretty sure its not Caroline Algae. Its thick, kinda has a fuzzy and has velvet texture to it. Its not growing every where in my tank, only on the top layer of my live rock and for the most part, only on the live rock surfaces that are right under my LED lights. Anyone have a clue as to what it might be, and how to get rid of it.
New tank? Cyano is a bacteria, thrives on silicates and high nutrients. If its a small quantity growing, wave it off with your hand and suck it out, or use a powerhead to dismiss it. Find out what your phosphates are reading, if your feeding to much, and possibly if your flow isn't enough.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re...obacteria-bacteria-vs-chemi-clean-liquid.html

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think its Cyno Algae, I have had that in my tank before (the tank has been set up for going on 2 years now) When I have Cyno algae before, you could remove it off the rock pretty easily, it would come back, but you could remove it with a tooth brush. This stuff, you would have to put some effort into scrubbing it off the rock. My Phosphates in the tank pretty much stay at 0 and my nitrates stay around 1 or 2, maybe a bit more lately as I have redused the size of my water changes. I am not saying its not cyno, but could it be cyno and be that hard to get off of the live rock?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this also. It is not Cyano. But more like a slippery turf like algae. Dark red in color and scrapes off easily with a stiff bristle brush. On occasion I've been able to peel pieces off. I'm still looking for a proper id so I can treat it. I have noticed my Emerald Crab munching on it :)
erehyzyn.jpg

Last edited:
Back