White stuff

mark66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an engineer goby to my display tank yesterday. It has been quarantined and treated with copper for 2 weeks and then fed metro and Prazipro. The goby looked good yesterday but today he has developed this mucus coating and is breathing heavy and does not look good. Does anyone know what might have caused this? Thank you!
IMG_6662.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is hard to answer since your protocol is a little different than ours - mucus can be a non-specific problem with nearly any irritation. was the fish scratched, etc - during transfer?. That said, the heavy breathing suggests either a fluke issue, the beginning of a velvet issue, or a toxin )low o2/ammonia. Is anything else going on in your tank?

Upvote 1

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I added an engineer goby to my display tank yesterday. It has been quarantined and treated with copper for 2 weeks and then fed metro and Prazipro. The goby looked good yesterday but today he has developed this mucus coating and is breathing heavy and does not look good. Does anyone know what might have caused this? Thank you!
IMG_6662.jpeg
Metro is often used without cause and for sure should not be mixed with copper based. Assuming you used coppersafe, you want to go a full 30 days at treatment level 2.0-2.25 and these fish do have a heavy mucus coating which may be getting stripped with use of metroplex which MUST be precise in weight at .5gm which is a very tiny amount. I recommend water change and stopping the metro and focus

Upvote 1

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6662.jpeg
Is it breathing fast?
Could some new tankmate have gone after it?

This could be Brooklynella perhaps, that’s one disease that is not treated by copper or prazi.

Upvote 1

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 120 76.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 11.5%
Back