Why is my sandsifting starfish standing up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in the opposite corner of my filter should I move it?
Should I move it? Hers a pic
1555275062325.jpeg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think he's asking where to point the powerhead

the airstone is the thing making all the bubbles, powerhead is the wavemaker or circulation pump

i'd point powerhead/wavemaker at the surface to create better gas exchange

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your fish choices so far I'm going to say staying with all semi aggressive fish will work better. Firefish will never get a chance to eat with your other choices.

So you have a diamond goby (cool!)
Maroon clown ( tiny now, but grows to 5 or 6" long and possessive/evil when mature)
Beautiful fish but I know nothing about them other than huge eventual size and horrible temperament when mature.
They will certainly be ok in a 30 for a year.
I would need to check Liveaquaria.com for mature tank size.

Most of us use Liveaquaria.com because they won't waste time telling us just what we want to hear. :)

I was always a horrible offender for this. :-(

Fishing around for an answer until I could get someone to tell me just that whatever I was doing was ok. :-/

Liveaquaria.com is an excellent realistic resource and learning tool. :)

Glad You are rehoming the anthias.
Beautiful fish but they are 'rentals' in a small tank. :-(
75 or bigger, preferably much bigger and multiple daily feedings.
Problem delicate fish in general.

I saw the yellow tang baby in another thread. Lol, you do like tank busters. That needs to go to. Or to a minimum of a 75 gallon tank within a year, maybe just 6 months. :-/

What are the dimensions of your 30 gallon tank?
Tangs, even babies, need a minimum 4' lenght for proper growth.

Before you purchase anything else *please* go to Liveaquaria.com. Search for fish suitable for a 30 gallon.
Search tools/filters are on the left?
Basically most stuff that will stay under 3" when mature. (not 7 to 8" like the yellow tang. Take a dinner plate and "swim" it around inside your tank for a few minutes please. Lol, this is what I finally had to do to get over buying little baby tank busters.
Another easy way to visualize it is cut out a silhouette of a 7" fish and tape that to your tank.
It takes all the fun out of thinking everything is going to be ok. :-/

The wave maker looks good on the opposite side of the filter.

I use a Bubbler just because I like them.
They are kinda "poor form" for a lot of salt water people. :)
Lol, expect to "lose points" for that one. ;-)

The wave maker pointed towards the surface will give you way more oxygenation/air turnover than the Bubbler ever will. :)
That and my favorite deep sea diver bubbler is tacky in a $2,000 system is the main reason you don't see too many. :)

Also forget about wasting money on coral for now. :)
We can get to softies that *might* survive under your lighting later.
(Guessing the lighting didn't cost $600 all by itself. That's beginner stony coral lighting. :-/ )
The fish will usually have way more personality anyway. :)

Whew, let's start there. :)
*please* no more fish for now. :)

A royal gramma OR maybe 2 orchid dottyback (not strawberry, or any other for now. Most are pretty evil. ) would be a nice suitably color punch later. :)
1 small serpent starfish (4 to 5" max) would be cool. :)

Do you know what kind of damsels you have?
Some are reasonably friendly (for a damsel) and some are evil and 5" mature that might even give your future evil 5" maroon clownfish problems.
A few close up cell phone pics would help. :)

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sandsifting Starfish" that is the keyword here. Not gravel sifting! Your starfish is going to struggle with that gravel. Your "sandsifting diamond goby will as well" the goby cannot pass gravel through his gills.

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals tenticals havnt been out for a couple days cuz I irritated it cleaning my tank last time but now its pulsating and puffed out is this good or bad?
1555437105372.jpeg

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your fish choices so far I'm going to say staying with all semi aggressive fish will work better. Firefish will never get a chance to eat with your other choices.

Maroon clown ( tiny now, but grows to 5 or 6" long and possessive/evil when mature)
Beautiful fish but I know nothing about them other than huge eventual size and horrible temperament when mature.

Most of us use Liveaquaria.com because they won't waste time telling us just what we want to hear. :)

Fishing around for an answer until I could get someone to tell me just that whatever I was doing was ok. :-/

I saw the yellow tang baby in another thread. Lol, you do like tank busters. That needs to go to. Or to a minimum of a 75 gallon tank within a year, maybe just 6 months. :-/

Before you purchase anything else *please* go to Liveaquaria.com. Search for fish suitable for a 30 gallon.
Basically most stuff that will stay under 3" when mature. (not 7 to 8" like the yellow tang. Take a dinner plate and "swim" it around inside your tank for a few minutes please. Lol, this is what I finally had to do to get over buying little baby tank busters.
Another easy way to visualize it is cut out a silhouette of a 7" fish and tape that to your tank.

The wave maker pointed towards the surface will give you way more oxygenation/air turnover than the Bubbler ever will. :)
That and my favorite deep sea diver bubbler is tacky in a $2,000 system is the main reason you don't see too many. :)

(Guessing the lighting didn't cost $600 all by itself. That's beginner stony coral lighting. :-/ )

A royal gramma OR maybe 2 orchid dottyback (not strawberry, or any other for now. Most are pretty evil. ) would be a nice suitably color punch later. :)

Some are reasonably friendly (for a damsel) and some are evil and 5" mature that might even give your future evil 5" maroon clownfish problems.
I dont have a blue tang ? I have 3 yellow tailed damsels no blue tang

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Sandsifting Starfish" that is the keyword here. Not gravel sifting! Your starfish is going to struggle with that gravel. Your "sandsifting diamond goby will as well" the goby cannot pass gravel through his gills.
He was for the 3 months I had gravel and I jus changed to sand

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And thank u

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was for the 3 months I had gravel and I jus changed to sand

Did you remove all the black sand/gravel and put in white sand?

If so, keep an eye on your ammonia. Removing it also removes a lot of bacteria and can cause what people refer to as a mini-cycle (your bacteria population has to rebuild to sea with the amount of ammonia in the tank).

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did and ok thank u I cheaked it and nitrate and nitrite and amonia is 0 ph is 8.2 everything is normal rn!

Back