Yikes! Found a thumbsplitter.

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess it had to happen.
My husband has a 72 gal bowfront and has had occasional missing creatures in his tank. He thought it was just his tank because he had a mini crash after he got flatworms.

Well, we are in the process of moving and he was moving his tank. I had him dip his LR to get rid of the residual flatworms and out of the bottom of his largest piece of LR dropped a bright green Mantis shrimp. He put it in a separate bucket and there it remains.

Man that little sucker is MEAN. My DH was putting an aerator in there and it went after him.

Any body have any experience with these? Should we just take it to the LFS?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love mantis shrimp. they make great tank companions (in their own tank). if it was green it was probably under 2", just a little baby compared to other mantis shrimp.

IMG_1971.jpg

racermike27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do with the mantis? I would gladly take him off your hands. We have been looking for one for a while now.

OP
OP
R

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We took him to the local Aquarium. They are going to put him on display there. The Aquarium was really happy to have him. Wish I had known you wanted him. I would have been glad to give him to you. Try and find some Florida LR. Our local stores have aquacultured rock (which is legal) and this is the third time that a mantis has come out of that rock that I know of. A local reefer here found 2 at two different times from that type of rock.
Hey Surfn, this may be a stupid question, but from your comment above, it sounds like the green mantis is a juvenile?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back