Aquamans 90 Reef

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this site but figured I should start up a tank thread for my 90 gallon tank. Here are a few specs on the tank-
For lighting I am running 2-400W SE MH 20K XM with LumenBright reflectors. And water flow I have a Tunze 6101. Everything in the system is controlled by my ReefKeeper 2
For skimming I have an ASM G3 w/ gate valve mod. Quiet One 4000 for a return pump. I also have a JBJ ATO system with a 10 gallon reservoir. I use a Titanium Tube 250watt heater. Korallin C-1502 Calcium Reactor along with a Kalk Dosing system controlled by the RK2. I have about 120lbs. of rock and about 100lbs. of sand.

I am currently looking to change the tank over to SPS, Favia, and chalices. I will be setting up a 40 breeder, plumbed in with the 90, for zoas and acans only; lately the zoas have not been looking good due to too much light, so they get their own tank! So I am in the market for some new power heads. How do you all like the modded maxijets?

Here are some pictures!

Enjoy

Matt

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0554.jpg

DSC_0556.jpg

DSC_0568.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

DSC_0595.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the koralia's as far as powerheads go. I've had mine running for almost a year asnd haven't had any issues with them. nice tank and pics by the way.

Linda Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for starting this thread and I'll be watching it with interest! I too have a 90g which is basically just starting out, with all of the contents recently moved from a 55g, so the tank contents/occupants are about a year old.

Your tank is what I want mine to be!

What type of support system do you have as far as a sump/fuge? Are you using a DSB in the fuge? How will you tie in the 40g breeder?

How many fish? I noticed you have two yellow tangs... I'm guessing they get along okay in that small a tank? I'd love to add another tang, but have been concerned about my tank size..

For water flow, I have Koralia 3's and have been very happy with them.

OP
OP
aquaman3680

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the compliments. I do not have a fuge on this system as I cannot fit one large enough to do any good. I have a zoa frag tank, a 20, hooked into the system right now so I will just put the 40 in place of the 20. The 40 is going to be drilled so I will hook it in the smae exact way. It will drain into the sump for the 90 and pump out of it. This tank will have a DSB as I would like do do a blue spot jaw in the tank. This tank is about 2 years old. In the tank I actually have 3 yellow tangs, yes i know, tang police. I added them all at the same time when they were small and now they school and hang out together. I would not recommend adding another tang if you already have some that are established. The only reason I believe it worked out for me is that they were young and introduced at the same time. Other fish I have are 4 bangaii cardinals, 2 mated pairs, randalls goby, azure damsel, 2 clowns, and a lyre tale anthias.

I actually have a korallia 1 in there as well for some directed flow. I like the korallia but I don't feel they put out enough flow for what I would want it for. I was going to do a tunze nanostream 6055 but they are too expensive so I think i want to do a sureflow mod on a maxijet.

That FTS is a couple months old so I will get a new one ASAP.

Thanks again!

Matt

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have koralia 3's in my 65 and they make the water in the tank rock coupled with the supply from the sump.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put the korallias on a wave maker? But not the new controllable ones just the regular ones.

Matt

I've heard of people on reefcentral using them on a seio controller. I personally havent tried it but have heard it worked fine.

The non wave making koralias arent meant to be stopped/started in sucession numerous times as it'll burn the motor out.

OP
OP
aquaman3680

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the wonderful compliments!

I guess the seio controllers would work too as they are basically the same principal.

Raider- It was something I had always wanted and it took a very long time!

Matt

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like these shots the best... awesome job Matt... keep up to good work.. :)

I'm curious to find out what coral is on the sand bed to the left of the wellso... green w/ red/orange skirts.. yuma? or some kind of anemone?

OP
OP
aquaman3680

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a flower or rock anemone. I actually got that for free at the LFS. They said I could have it because when i got it it was floating around the tank and bleached white. It turned out to look like that!

Matt

GotSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is one nice tank. I would be happy if mine turns out half as good as yours. VERY NICE!!!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow just wow!!

OP
OP
aquaman3680

aquaman3680

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the wonderful compliments! Here is an updated FTS. I really need some help with them! I am not sure why but the highlights are too light and the shadows are too dark. Anyone know what could be up? I have tried changing aperture and messing with the ISO. Any ideas?

Anyways here are the pics.

_DSC2678-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2694-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2721-resizedr.jpg

_DSC2724-resizedr.jpg

Enjoy,

Matt

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely incredible tank!!!!!

This is a very elementary question but how did you set up your auto top-off? I have wanted to set one up for a very long time but have no idea what it entails.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back