“Bonsai” coral beauty?

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that biota has bred what they call a “bonsai coral beauty”. Apparently it only gets 1.5-2” and is suitable for nanos. They say they are bred for the fluval 13.5 which seems cruel to me but if it stays small enough I’m not sure. Anybody know if these are still around? I can’t seem to find them anywhere, if I could find one I’d love to buy one

OP
OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious to hear if they eat coral. I keep reading that few species of angels are reef safe.
I’ve read coral beauties are usually the safest of the dwarf angels for coral eating. Especially captive bred ones that haven’t developed a taste for coral. My tank is on the smaller side and I’m not too worried about a few nips if it happens so If I could find a coral beauty that only gets 2” that would be awesome, sounds too good to be true lol

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read coral beauties are usually the safest of the dwarf angels for coral eating. Especially captive bred ones that haven’t developed a taste for coral. My tank is on the smaller side and I’m not too worried about a few nips if it happens so If I could find a coral beauty that only gets 2” that would be awesome, sounds too good to be true lol
See I thought the captive bread was the best option at first too but I’ve read that Only the The Geniacanthus Angels are Planktivores, making them totally reef safe

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern would be whether this selective breeding leads to numerous genetic defects, health problems and shortened lifespans. I’d expect a Centropyge angel the size of a Coral Beauty or Flame to live 10+ years under good conditions.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have one of these. Even though I've had it for about 2yrs it hasn't grown at all.
DSC_7275 (3).JPG

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a pygmy angel in 13g so I guess the same goes for a coral beauty the size of a pygmy angel.

I would do 20g with 30g being more acceptable for a pygmy.

Not just generics but nutrition plays a big role in growth.

OP
OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a pygmy angel in 13g so I guess the same goes for a coral beauty the size of a pygmy angel.

I would do 20g with 30g being more acceptable for a pygmy.

Not just generics but nutrition plays a big role in growth.
Yeah I wouldn’t either, my tank is 33g so I figure a 2” angel would be ok. apparently Biota claims they are bred for nanos

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back